Author Topic: Ruddspeed?  (Read 8355 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« on: November 08, 2010, 18:22:32 »
I had an email conversation with Rod Leach about his latest ad in the Octane magazine. He is presenting a "essentially the same as a Ruddspeed Ace" car with a Chassis Number from a 2 liter saloon.

How does that work? The 2 liter does not share the same or similar chassis, does it?

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_results.asp?sorderby=tblManufacturers.sName+ASC%2C+tblModels.sModel+ASC%2C+bOfficial+DESC%2C+tblCars.sType+ASC&action=simple_search&coopid=0&lmanufacturer=10001&lcurrency=2&next=4100_results.asp&whatbutton.x=0&dealerid=0&bsubmit=true&lmodelflag=10002&bclicked=false&bshowstock=True&page=0&lCarID=1814808

Gus

jrlucke

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 00:08:44 »
The John McLellan book on AC's that I have suggests the 2 liter's wheelbase is a full 2 ft longer and that the EL serial number would have been a pre-hydraulic brake car.

It appears that the chassis and suspension would require a complete upgrade/modification.

It is a pretty car but I wouldn't consider it to be the 38th of the series.

John

Question, are all 2.6 cars considered Ruddspeeds? I was of the impression that the Ruddspeed cars had additional mods to the engines (head work, carbs, etc.). My impression was that RS5024 was a standard 2.6 (presumably stage 1) with webers added???

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 00:58:36 »
As I understand it all 2.6 Zephyr engined cars are RS cars, after Ken Rudd, whom suggested this engine to AC as an alternative to the Bristol engine, which was no longer available. Of course, after a short run of cars, a certain guy by the name of Shelby came along and brought Ford with him...

Gus

jrlucke

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:12:05 »
Yes, the serial numbers are "RS", but I thought the true Ruddspeed versions had higher performance engine mods.

I owned RS5024 and with the webers it was very quick even though it was not a full stage 4 or 5.

The engine had the standard plain chrome valve cover rather than the Ruddspeed cover and so my presumption was that there was a difference.

I'm aware of the Ken Rudd history with AC and particularly the 2.6 versions.

I also have a copy of a 1961 magazine (Motor Trend???) with a short review of the first 2.6 (before the lowered/long nose). Compared to the companion road test of a Ace Bristol, they were quite impressed.

John

SBB

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 16:02:21 »
The car in Motor sport is RS 5000, the prototype, (would have been AE 1191). There were 4 stages of tune offered.These were all called "Ruddspeed".

1 Ford iron head but modified with reworked ports, inlet and exhaust valves triple inlet manifold and three SUs

2 As above with lightweight pistons.

3 Rubery Owen made "Raymond Mays" aluminium cylinder head and three SUs, light weight pistons and pushrods.

4 As above but with three Webers.

Simon

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 20:45:38 »
I understand only the identity of the 2 litre was used for this car, i.e. its chassis number including stamped plate and the registration mark, presumably together with the paperwork.
   I doubt if any other parts of the "donor" car were used. Certainly not the chassis. Donor identity would be a better description if such a thing exists??

Jerry

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 22:51:15 »
Jerry,

That is exactly correct. I had an email conversation with Rod Leach asking him about this. He is not trying to hide that fact. He mentioned the sole purpose of obtaining the the saloon was to use it's registration in order to re-create a 2.6 Ace.

I guess I'm at a loss as to how that is possible, as not a single part of the saloon was used.

Good looking car.

Gus/Gijs

Tussen twee haakjes: waar woon je, Jerry? Ik kom af en toe naar NL en kan misschien eens je auto zien?

left4dead

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:38:19 »
Hi Gus & Jerry,

The 'donor' car thing is pretty widespread especially with old jags where identities are used to create C & D types. It means the car can be registered as a 'correct' year and make rather than a 'kit' car which would come with a 'Q' registration number.

Gus? Did Rod mention the price? Just wondering how it compares with the Aceca/Ace Bristol that's still for sale at £139,995?

Cheers,

Steve.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 11:45:44 »
DOH! I was speaking with Rod about this car last weekend at the NEC CLassic Show, but neglected to mention asking price!! Sorry.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 13:32:02 »
Rod did mention the price. I was not sure whether it was my place to advertise that on our forum, as he does not have it in his ad. But here you go:

The price is £145,000.
   Regards - Rod Leach.

Gus

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 15:21:06 »
Wow.

SBB

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 16:17:41 »
£145,000? It's much cheaper to buy a real AC Cobra Mk IV - probably very much less than than half this price. Good luck to Rod Leach because this is his living, BUT this car has zero provenance.
   The facts are that in the early 1990s Bill Monk advertised his capabilities to build copies of the Ace. He had three chassis made. He built this copy of a 2.6 for himself but needed to sell it, unregistered,unpainted and untrimmed not long after. In this state it was advertised by the puchaser in Classic and Sports car about three years ago with a photo, It has since acquired a saloon identity. Of the other two chassis, one was made up as an Ace and Monk says he sold it to someone who races an Ace historic events (!). The third became an Aston Martin DB3S copy with an Aston Martin 3 litre engine, gearbox, fibreglass body, 1950s Aston identity and went abroad.

left4dead

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 16:24:21 »
Very similarly priced to the car at Nutley then.

I notice that Peter Bradfield's real one has suddenly disappeared from his site after many months. That was £200k, I believe.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ruddspeed?
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 18:11:58 »
I wish there was a little more transparency in the market. Hardly ever does one find out what the actual sale price was of any car.
   Does anyone in the business know what kind %-age dealers are willing to take on average. In other words: would Rod seriously entertain a lowball offer on a 145K asking price?

He has been in the business a long time and has excellent knowledge of AC cars/cobras etc. Not exactly a side-business for him. I doubt he or Nigel Winchester would sink themselves knee deep into a project like this without a chance of recovering their investments and make a (small)profit.