Author Topic: AC Cobras built in 1995  (Read 15616 times)

linklaw

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 03:59:06 »
There should be a Roush engine number on the bell housing. Look to the rear of the intake manifold for a number like "40X000X". According to the guys at Roush, the first number gives the bore diameter, in the example above, it would be 4.0 inches. The second two numbers are the thousandths over that the engine is bored and the last numbers are the engine serial number. My engine was installed by Roush and I recently blew a head gasket. I got the above info from Roush while trying to identify my engine.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Brian

Well, I finally was able to get pictures of the Cobra outside. Here is a link to the add at Club Cobra -

Brian, is the suspension fitted with sway bars front and rear?

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 19:10:09 »
Linklaw - I did a quick look over but cannot find a stamp at the top near the rear of the intake manifold. I will take some more time to thoroughly look it over. Anywhere else to look for a stamp on the engine block? I don't see any metal tags either for identification. but again will keep looking

MkIV Lux - Sway bar in the front, looks like traction control bars in the rear. The Cobra is so low to the ground that I cannot get any of my jacks underneath it (not even the motorcycle lift).

I have more pictures but cannot figure out how to post here. Any assistance or is it easier to post on club cobra and link it (I did figure that one out).?

Thanks again for the feedback.
   Brian

jbottini

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 20:55:22 »
traction bars on IRS..???

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 21:19:16 »
Hi Brian, That`s one beautiful MkIV, and if I had $125k to spare, it wouldn`t be for sale any more!
   I can`t imagine having a car like that and only putting 659 miles on it in 15 years... that`s an average of 44 miles PER YEAR!!!
   One point though... with so little use, it may need an amount of 're-commisioning', new tyres, bushes etc, no matter how well it has been stored. There have been a few owners who report tyres 'going off'!
   I did a posting photos tutorial post HERE, 5th post down, but for now, here are some of yours:

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 21:45:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Brian
   MkIV Lux - Sway bar in the front, looks like traction control bars in the rear.

Brian

No traction control bars on the MkIV, are better described as tranction & transverse control bars, I guess. What you see from the side is then probably possibly the rear sway bar fixed underneath the chassis rails and leading under the lower wishbone. The end of the sway bar is generally the lowest element you can see underneath the car's rear end (except for the wheels of course [;)]). As one can see from your pics, no sway bar at the back-end.

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 01:02:03 »

Testing photobucket images of rear suspension "looks like traction control bars"

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 01:14:20 »
Woohoo! Success.
   Thanks nikbj68! I assume the certain amount of "re-commissioning" would be negotiated in the final price of the car.

Time for a good cleaning under there, better figure out how to get this thing off the ground. Are there specific areas that you can place a jack on these chassis'? Last thing I want to do is dent something. I will get the wheels off and take more photos.

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 01:20:16 »
Front swaybar..

Coilover..

I think i'm getting the hang of this[:)]

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 01:28:25 »
Engine..

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 08:27:49 »
Hello Brian, Thank you for posting details and pictures of #1397. Using this information I have updated my copy of the MkIV Registry information. I will be passing this forward to the Club to again update the on-line version, with other new information I have learned since the last posting. Would it be possible for you to directly send me copies of the photographs for storage in the hard copy files? many thanks
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens [MkIV Registrar]

TLegate

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:53 »
I agree regarding recommissioning. I recently talked a friend into buying a 1965 E-type with a genuine 18,000 miles from new, not been turned over for 35 years. It was a 5-figure sum to rebuild the engine, acid-dipping etc to flush out the cr*p. Mind you he really does have a time-warp car now (pity its just an E-type though :-)

linklaw

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 18:09:58 »
Here is a photo of my Roush engine number. I misspoke before when I said the number is on the bellhousing. It is on the top of the block between the bellhousing and the rear of the intake manifold. John

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 16:55:59 »
Alan, yes I can email you photos.

TLegate, I can understand the tire replacement, bushings and other rubber components that typically breakdown over time, but I wouldn't think a 5 figure engine tear down would be required for a 95'. Any items specific to these Cobras that need replaced at interval or typical car maintenance?

Linklaw, Thanks. I will give it another inspection.

TLegate

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 21:06:17 »
Brian: Not suggesting that your car requires a full rebuild. I'd certainly hope not! That was just an example of what happens in the world of old motors when a car is left undriven for 35 years. But it still performed well and now performs even better