Author Topic: AC Cobras built in 1995  (Read 15664 times)

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« on: November 08, 2010, 14:39:01 »
Hello everyone,
   I am trying to gather a little more information on the cars built in 1995. I have AKL1397 that will be going up for sale soon. It is reported as 1 of 5 built for a group of Ford Motor Company Executives. I have read up on the history of AC Cars but wondered if there was anyone that could provide a little insight into what sounds like some of the last cars produced.

Thank you for your time and any information you can provide.

I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how too....

Brian

SB7019

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 20:45:32 »
Have you checked on the Mk!V register?  This is freely available online to members and can be accessed via the Members Area on  he home page.  Looks like your vehicle was supplied as a rolling chassis so it is possible that it went to an FMC executive.  A number of them had Mk!Vs and as they also had good access to the Detroit based engine builders (Roush in particular)they were able to put together some pretty hot combinations.  I can remember having dinner in Detroit with one of them in 1995 and discussing the fact that he had dropped a 500hp motor into his.  However I also believe that most of them bought their cars during the period of Ford ownership, which ceased in 1992.  Do you know where your vehicle was first titled as the Ford guys were invariably based in Michigan?

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:38:19 »
I should clarify "I Have" as it is in my possession but not my car. The car is owned by Peter Pestillo. He is a friend of the family and I was able to get some more information from him. apparently these were ordered by Neil Ressler (who got one along with Bill Ford and 2 others). The car was sent to Roush Racing for the powertrain and final assembly. It has a FI 351 Cleveland tuned to 400 HP.
   I am really trying to gather information on other Cobras to compare this one too. Peter was able to find 2 receipts (1 from AC Cars Ltd and 1 from Roush). Were most of the AC Cobras put out as rolling chassis' or did AC Cars turn out mostly complete units? Does it make a difference (in the eyes of the MKIV community) in value or originality if Roush installed the power train and final assembly compared to a complete car by AC?

thanks again and I will look into the MKIV registry now that I can access the members page.

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:55:15 »
For some reason I cannot access the members area of the home page. Does the registry show how many cobras were built in 1995 and what the chassis numbers were?

jbottini

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:28:29 »
Brian, Try club Cobra and ask...they have most all AK's listed as well. Jim

Mark IV

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:27:56 »
The cars for the Ford execs like Peter's were shipped as "rolling chassis" as they got higher power, non-certified engines. I thought Peters car was earlier, around 1986 although since this is an AKL it might be his second car. I remember Brian Angliss telling me about all the Ford execs who blew some of the bonus money of the mid 80's glory days with him. Peter was the union negotiator/HR guy who was a star in the 80's.

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 13:09:15 »
Thanks guys. The car looks mint. I have not found any issues looking it over and it was driven to my house. It has 659 miles on it. The 2 receipts that I do have total more than $100K ($62 for the rolling chassis and $43 from Roush).

Now for opinions....Do you think this car (I know I need to get pictures posted so you can see the condition) would bring $100K today?

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 02:05:23 »
Can't figure out how to post pictures, but I have a couple on club cobra. Question I posted over there...Did all of the steering wheels leave AC with a signature? If yes, then who's was it?

Thanks,
   Brian

jbottini

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 02:42:38 »
Brian, No signatures from Brian Anglis group that I've ever seen

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Brian

Can't figure out how to post pictures, but I have a couple on club cobra. Question I posted over there...Did all of the steering wheels leave AC with a signature? If yes, then who's was it?

Thanks,
   Brian

here it is, Brian

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=107615

The signature on the wheel is E.Nardi (Enrico Nardi) steering wheel manufacturer of Torino(Italy).

Nice car indeed, as one can see from the pics. Dashboard and steering wheel indicate mid nineties design.

The long exhaust pipes are identical to the ones on my MkIV (AKL 1417 produced July 1993).

This brand-new car, manufactured in May 1995 as a rolling chassis,  should easily fetch over 100 k$

Another 3 rolling chassis were produced in May 1995. But they were normal AK ... cars, not Lightweight chassis.

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 14:09:11 »
MkIV Lux, Thanks for the assistance and information!

I am waiting for a sunny day here in the Michigan fall to get it out and take some pictures. Any recommendations (I will post in Club Cobra)on where to advertise? Hemmings, Dupont Registry..

jbottini

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 13:22:00 »
Nardi...of couse...i thought we had a C.S. signature

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 19:21:47 »
Well, I finally was able to get pictures of the Cobra outside. Here is a link to the add at Club Cobra -

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3338&cat=2

ak1234

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 20:36:40 »
" It has a FI 351 Cleveland " ... this cant be correct for obvious reasons.  They didnt make a 351c in 95, 351C is a poor choice for a motor, dont think ROUSCH would choose a C motor.

Ron

Brian

• View Profile
AC Cobras built in 1995
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 01:36:34 »
Ok, so Peters memory was not correct or bad information somewhere down the line. I just took closer look at the engine...5 bolts on the valve covers = Windsor right?

I edited the ad. I have a friend that might be able to put me in contact with the Roush guys who were working during the time of the build. I will see if I can get any more details. All I have now is a Roush invoice with 3 pages of parts (no engine identified) and labor for Development engineer, Development technician, Machinist, Engine build-up tech and Vehicel painter.

Guess that's why I am on here ensuring what I have is good ;-)
   Brian