Author Topic: NOS Smiths 130 MPH speedo on Ebay  (Read 2765 times)

AEX566

• View Profile
NOS Smiths 130 MPH speedo on Ebay
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:28:52 »
NOS (New old stock) 130 MPH Smiths speedo with clock - hard to believe its been sitting all these years- The US seller appears to have an unblemished record, and as the listing says "Why rebuild?"

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AC-ACE-ACECA-NOS-Speedometer-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem33624c9669QQitemZ220692518505QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

acmathom

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 15:32:00 »
Hello - that might be a nice item and indeed, one might be tempted to use is straight as it is... Nevertheless, I would recommand to have a service before using such an "old" new stock item. I have just taken my (prewar-)speedo to a local expert for instruments here in germany. He showed me the inside of a similar Smith speedo. He pointed out, that it can work for a few miles, before either the mechanism inside will colide due to a loss of oil (e.g. after 50 years of storage...), or the Speedo-cable will break. The bill for repairing a damaged speedo will be much higher than have a service beforehand, as mechanical spares especially for the clock are getting rare - at least on the continent .... I was convinced by seeing the inside of the speedo - for me, it looked rather like a old watch before the electronics took over. Just my opinion and experience of having used (and broken) a "NOS-speedo" bought in Beaulieu this year... Regards from germany

aex416

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:53:57 »
I agree as grease can cause problems when sitting for years. Best to send and have serviced regardless. Used www.nisonger.com for my speedo that had sat for 34 years. All is well now and inexpensive for what you get!