Author Topic: 428 road test comparisons then & now ?  (Read 4364 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
428 road test comparisons then & now ?
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:32:18 »
As I think it would be very interesting to know by just how much the 428 today has improved in all areas since the original road tests of the '60's, particularly overheating ref J. Jones and Emmanuel's car which sounds quicker than the original Cobra (!) are any owners interested in coming up with some comparable statistics 40 years on ?

More period road tests are shown on the Register and Archive.

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:24:44 »
Still a long way from "finished", Paul. I think it would be interesting, though, to conduct another test 40+ years later than the tests you've posted.

When our cars are "done", they should be more enjoyable to drive, probably faster, and with better handling.

There has been a lot of interest from owners of "genuine original" cobras to the Fruas. Active interest - as in "interest in purchasing". We shall see. Seeing them "in the flesh" has helped a great deal. One extremely knowledgable guy has progressed from thinking of them as a "cobra with a bathtub on it" to muted admiration. They are beautiful, and moreover, the 6 inch longer chassis may actually have improved not only the ride, but possibly handling. A theory that is still awaiting confirmation. SACRILEGE!!!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:26:25 »
Hopefully my car will be done by next summer! Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 21:39:05 »
Look forward to it all especially if you could get some really good video pics too as there still isn't as far as I know a decent AC 428 film on YouTube yet.

To be really authentic (and increase the Cobra owners' active interest still further !) how about a full road test with video round a circuit as well ? Following as closely as possible the one Autocar did with CF 1 at Silverstone in April 1967 (pic below), though preferably without any oncoming traffic and crazy cyclists in the way as Mike Hawthorn demonstrated before the 1956 Le Mans. Sacrilege as well but it's still one of my all time favourites !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2irKVQB4I&feature=player_embedded#!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 07:44:00 »
See how much leaning CF1 is doing! Suspension was set much too soft and one or two anti sway bars who have helped. Tires are too small as well E [:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:53:31 »
CF 46

http://acfrua428.activeboard.com/index.spark?aBID=115841&p=3&topicID=16001597

Classic & Sportscar Magazine July 2004

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 14:15:09 »
Much better, but tires are larger than original and shocks may not be original as well. E

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 16:05:48 »
...Or is he just not driving quite as fast?! [;)]

I was wondering whether the suspension was intentionally soft to appeal to the 'GT cruiseship' buyer, who would be more likey to be travelling longer, straighter journeys than twisty country lanes... indeed, would the North American buyer of the period have been accustomed to a much softer ride than those on this side of the pond(including Europe, of course!)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 00:49:51 »
Yes in the US you have large interstates with long straightaways no need for sharp handling. For a long time American Cars were deficient in the handling department. Was this car for the American market? I know my car came from Belgium and it had all the US anti-pollution hardware at one time. Did AC leave it because they did not want to change the engine or did they want all the cars to be compatible with the US legislation?
   Seems to me AC would have had more luck in selling Fruas if they they had made it an all out super car instead of the GT it was. Springs originally were set at 325lbs, my car has 450 lbs spring and an anti sway bar up front and it still is too soft. I will go to 550 front and 600 rear when it is put back together. A slightly tuned 427 and the right sized wheel would have made this car the fastest road car of it's time and I believe it would have attracted quite a few more buyers. It would have also justified the astronomical asking price.
   Emmanuel

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 18:51:12 »
I may have said before, but we modified several 428 Frua cars when we ran Uniclip Automotive. We stiffened the springs and fitted adjustable shocks and anti roll bars (sway bars). The result sharpened up turn in, and the cars were more balanced and predictable when pushed through corners. We also fitted wider wheels and Avon Turbosteel tyres from the Bentley Mulsanne Turbo to complete the transformation. With the original soft springs there was an awful wallowing after the peak of a bump in the road which often resulted in the car bottoming out. That was cured with the new springs. I don't know why the AC factory couldn't work that one out. If they had, maybe AC would be producing hundreds of fast smooth GT cars now!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 04:47:04 »
Andy, My Ipad sometimes changes words without me knowing until I re-read the post later. Anyway, I agree, suspensions and the heat problem. This would have made the car so much more enjoyable for eventual buyers. My car drove so well after the changes I made, that is until I stripped it for restoration. The auto box also was a problem, it's so much more enjoyable with 5 speeds. Jeffrey's car is also great with those modern and pricey shocks, and he does not have a front anti sway bar yet. The steering is so light and responsive, no need for power steering there. The only thing he needs and he will kill me for saying this is a bit more cam to make his car truly great. Mine with it's solid lifter cam pulls all the way to 6500 RPM and truly wakes up around 4200 when the carb secondaries open and all 550 HP hit the road.

I first mounted a top loader for originality against the advice of a friend of mine who sells vintage cars for a living. As he said, having a modern box will not detract on selling price because the car is so rare that if someone wants one, that will be pretty much it and the restoration will be be top notch. I should have listened to him and done that from the start. The car drives great, its way faster than a Ferrari Daytona, I know, I used to have one, and it was a mint Euro version ),

it handles better and the brakes are just as good. It drive like a Cobra but it has all the weather gear. The only area where the Daytona is better is in the noise department, one does not really feel what it is like to be in a Le Mans race car until one steps on a Daytona gas pedal and listens to that raging 12 cylinder engine, there is nothing like it. I loved it. The Frua is cheaper to maintain and gives just as much thrills (Except for sound) and also has a much better steering feel, especially in town.

Emmanuel [:D]

Emmanuel