Author Topic: Need Zephyr engine info please  (Read 5737 times)

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
Need Zephyr engine info please
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:25:37 »
Fellow AC owners,

I have a racing 57 Aceca with a Bristol D2 motor. I would like to pull the D2 out and replace it with a 2.6 Zephyr for more power in period.

As I am located in the US (California) info is limited on locating one. Does anyone have any info on a US based provider? UK provider? Ease of parts access (or lack thereof).

Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
   Rob

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:10:31 »
Rob, I have been looking for a 2.6 on this side of the pond for awhile and they are tough to find. I had a chance on 1 from a forum member (GaryC)some time back and really wish I had bought it as I have not seen another since then. I have tried the American Zephyr Owners club and Kim motor company and came up empty in both locations. Interestingly enough, during this time I have seen 3 AC engine blocks for sale in the US, and seen a couple of Zephyr engines in the UK for free pickup. I think it is a matter of us being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Let me know if you find a source for a couple of 2.6s[;)]
   Jay

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:44:20 »
Thanks Jay...will do.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:39:03 »
No expert on engines or anything mechanical at all, but hazy memories of the UK boating scene in the 60's and the fact that I think Ken Rudd used to have a garage or dealership near Lancing not far from Brighton on the South Coast, reminded me that car engines were sometimes fitted into them. Did a quick Google check and wondered if the old forum link below about Zephyr boat engines might help.

Incidentally the link in the final post to "Lancing Marine" rings a bell as they might have been around then as well so might be worth an email. One other thing, I think Clifford over on the Frua forum actually lives very close by so he might be worth asking ?

Hope something helps good luck [:)]

http://www.porkers.co.uk/topic.asp?t=731924&f=140&h=11

Just found this Autosport forum link to Ken Rudd as well.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s=5b9b8d453aa2b870326cda617f9fcabc&showtopic=115629

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 17:23:49 »
Thanks very much!

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 21:00:50 »
Not sure if this covers what you want but it might be a bit quicker !

http://website.lineone.net/~zzoc3/services.htm

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 21:02:57 »
I am in Sweden and have the following.
   Ruddspeed 2.6 tuned engine.
   Raymond Mays cylinder head fully prepared with carburetters and manifolds. New set of pistons,new timing chain,new bearings, later type cylinder block,crankshaft been tested and fully prepared,full engine ready to assemble.
   Was going to put this in my Ace AE107 but have now found original CL engine to my car.
   I have an Aceca with this exact same engine fitted and was going to keep this as a "spare" but if a member needs it maybe we can talk.[:)]

kenn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 15:41:17 »
hi , for AE 530i have a fully rebuilt 2.6 to very high standard with Mays head and manifold for twin SUs and partially made manifold for triple Webers.New lightweight pistons and valves,custom made alloy rocker and side covers.lightweight clutch and flywheel,cam profiled by ex Zephyr racer,190BHP and smooth idle promised on Webers.Custom alloy Bellhousing for 5 speed alloy (what we call Supra box)Huge dollars spent
   Engine is all together and still wrapped in plastic cover from builder.
   Half way through received an email from  original owner who told me  Ken Rudd had fitted a new Bristol engine for him early in 1956 to replace AC engine, so probably should be fitting a Bristol.is your Bristol engine in top condition and can we discuss possible trade?
   Ken

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 06:57:48 »
Thanks to all.  After doing extensive research on the topic, I have decided to rebuild my Bristol instead of putting in a Zephyr for a number of reasons.  I will keep you posted!

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 19:36:47 »
Good choice.  Think about keeping the Solexes, too.

aex416

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:43:38 »
For anyone who may wish to buy a 2.6 I have one from a 59 Ford Zephyr. Engine is all there and so buyer would be able to build to suit AC. Incidentally, car comes with the engine. Would make a really good rally car.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 02:00:52 »
Will, E-mail sent on your engine/car.
   Jay