Author Topic: AC Cars VIN tag script?  (Read 10488 times)

AC Bill

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:58:54 »
Do the AC Cars VIN tags have the serial, and engine numbers, punched into it, or are they hand scribed?

aex125

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 18:27:09 »
Bill,
   Aces were stamped and I believe 289 Cobras were also stamped although not all 289s had tags, and if they had one, it was different. I believe 427s received hand scribed tags.

AC Bill

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 19:05:14 »
Thanks for the information! I could probably get mine stamped at a trophy shop as I expect they have the tools.

I have seen some of the Shelby Cobra tags hand scribed, but since mine is the AC Cars tag, I was wanting to stay traditional. [:)]

jrlucke

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 23:54:06 »
Is this an AC or a Factory Five Racing replica?

AC Bill

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 18:07:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

Is this an AC or a Factory Five Racing replica?

It is a FFR, which FFR actually intended to be a Cobra 427S/C replica.

I have always felt that AC Cars were never given enough credit, or recognition, for the important role they played in the development of the Cobra. My first "taste" of the roadster at a very young age, well prior to Shelby's involvement, was an AC Bristol.

I felt it was appropriate to expose the AC Cars involvement, so I have badged my roadster with the AC emblems, and will add the AC Cars, Thames Ditton, VIN tag. I have the AC logo steering wheel center cap. Where the "Powered by Ford 427" badge was placed above the fender side vent, I will have Union Jack badges. I also have an "England" grille badge that will be added, after I make the egg crate style grille. I will not be adding stripes to the car, and have leaned towards painting it a dark green, although silver is another possibility. I have to think about this a little more..
   Further to this I hope to add wire spoke wheels in the future to further the early AC Cars image. (not cheap!) I'd also love to add a "UK" decal to the rear boot, if I can find one..might not be easy in Canada...(Donations welcome..[:)]) Future enhancements may include rectangular taillights, and AC pedal pads.

My intentions are to stimulate questions from the curious, who may already have some knowledge of the Shelby Cobra, but may not be aware of the AC Cars role in it's history, or it's British heritage. Having British ancestry myself, I'd like to see some credit given where credit is due.

I know my roadster will be a hybrid of types in that it is not authentic looking AC, nor authentic looking Shelby Cobra..I'm having to work with what I have.. and with what I can afford..[:)]

Work in progress

aex125

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 19:09:00 »
Bill, For the stamping of your tag, you can buy a set of punches and stamp the tag yourself. Below is a link to a Cobra tag that shows the format and stamp size in case you want to give it a try.

http://www.csxinfo.net/web/modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=1137&fullsize=1

Jay

REV

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 21:46:17 »
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and its nice that people have interest in our cars.

The most replicated car on the planet is the cobra, and one of the most expensive cars on the planet is also a Cobra. Whether you like replicas or not if you own an AC of any type its the replicas that make it worth what it is. They keep the Marque to the fore. It actually a very rare sight to see an original car, not matter what era.

I think its "GB" lettering you require for you boot not "UK" by the way!

Good luck with your build.

AC Bill

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:06:24 »
If the Cobra's and the AC cars, Aces, Bristols, (whose prices are climbing) weren't so expensive, I would love to own one!
   At least I can get a the same thrill out of driving a replica. The acceleration is unbelievable, the handling superb. Comfort wise it's pretty darn close to an original..lol [;)]

I won't try to bluff anyone into believing it is an original, and will always answer truthfully if asked, what exactly it is. I will tell them this is a tribute to honor the marque, that I can't possibly afford..[:D]

Jay, thanks for the picture. I found out today that a freind may have a set of punch's I can borrow. Might be interesting trying to fit a seventeen digit VIN in that space..hmmm
   What VIN numbers did the AC Bristol and Aces use, as to pre-fix? I can't remember, it's been so long since I've seen an original.

I still have to affix the BC Provincial assigned VIN tag to the roadster,,that will be the official one..

AC Bill

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 16:13:26 »
Still hoping for an answer...

What numbers/letters, did the AC Bristol and Aces use on their VIN tags?
   For example, the Cobras used "CSX", did Bristol Aces have "ACB-xxxx" Aces have "ACA-xxxx" sort of thing?

Thanks

aex125

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 19:39:11 »
Hi Bill,
   AC powered cars used AE and AEX as their prefixes and Bristol powered versions used BE and BEX.

Jay

AC Bill

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:25:38 »
Thanks Jay!
    I really should have remembered BEX..sheesh[:I].
   Any idea what the X stood for?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 09:09:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Bill

Thanks Jay!
    I really should have remembered BEX..sheesh[:I].
   Any idea what the X stood for?

X = eXport

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 09:51:51 »
X = Left Hand Drive
   Right Hand Drive export cars (for Malaya, Singapore etc) did not have the 'X'.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 14:48:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

X = Left Hand Drive
   Right Hand Drive export cars (for Malaya, Singapore etc) did not have the 'X'.

Ah, thank you

AC Bill

• View Profile
AC Cars VIN tag script?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 15:25:37 »
Thinking now maybe I should use a personal form of letters/numbers for my AC VIN tag..
   I gather Carroll Shelby used the "CS"X designation for his name so, I could use "BS" for the first two initials of my name, (since I built it),the X as it is left hand drive, and then 6803, as this is both the last four numerals of my frame #, as well they are also the last four numbers of my Provincial official VIN tag.

So how about "BSX6803"? [:)]
   This way I would hope not to offend any original owners, and I don't believe in trying to fool anyone in to thinking otherwise by using an original type VIN, (as I have seen on some replicas). Using that VIN may also stimulate some conversation with anyone that is familiar with the numbering system used on the original cars.
   What do you think?