Author Topic: 2010 Goodwood Sprint  (Read 4780 times)

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« on: September 14, 2010, 17:53:49 »
The entry form and regs are now available and should have been sent to previous competitors.

They are available by email from John Abel:

john_abel289 at hotmail dot com

If you haven't tried before, it's a great event.  You need helmet and overalls to MSA spec, 'On' and 'Off' clearly marked on your ignition switch, a simple strut to activate the timing beam, a catch tank and a positive throttle return spring - and of course a non-race competition licence (no medical involved).

Come along and be part of our own Glorious Goodwood!

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:04:02 »
quote:
...  You need helmet and overalls to MSA spec, 'On' and 'Off' clearly marked on your ignition switch, a simple strut to activate the timing beam, a catch tank and a positive throttle return spring - and of course a non-race competition licence (no medical involved).

Come along and be part of our own Glorious Goodwood!

what is the understanding of "a simple strut"?  is this enough strut?

I guess the stock MkIV 302EFI meets catch tank and positive throttle return spring requirements ?

And I guess international competition licence (Historic Vehicles) is sufficient ?

Can anyone advise, please?

hawk289

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 22:41:53 »
International Comp Lic is great
   Strut will need adding see 10.9 in blue book, see http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/galleries/large-image.asp?ImageID=223&GalleryID=24
   Catch tank needs to be off the breather on the rocker cover, also needs to be 1lt or above in capacity see 10.3.5 in blue book
   Blue Book online - http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/10/323-334%20Sprints,%20etc.pdf
   Return Spring - see http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/10/150-159Competitors&Vehicles.pdf section 5.4.2 or 5.4.3

I would also recommend putting yellow tape on the battery earth - See 5.14.5 in http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/10/150-159Competitors&Vehicles.pdf

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 23:03:05 »
many thanks.. this helps ...

.. only additional question: on the MkIV 302 EFI engine, the breather on rocker cover is connected to the intake duct, recirculating engine fumes into combustion. This de facto gives an unlimited capacity catch tank. Is this sufficient or would I need to modify this?

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:24:33 »
One other thing - you need a fire extinguisher, 'medium' size, containing AFFF or ZERO 2000 (halon and dry powder are not permitted), firmlly attached inside the car.  I can't see a definition of 'medium' - can John help?

The helmet regs have changed this year, BS6658 Type A have been withdrawn. Full list is in the Blue Book but these are to Snell SA2005:

http://www.hedtec.co.uk/
   http://www.v2sport.com/

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:52:06 »
A picture of the highly sophisticated catch tank on ME 177:

Reply from our in-house scroot BGS re Constant's question about catch tanks:  "That is fine" - short and sweet!

hawk289

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:22:02 »
Now I'm being sad, sorry should have stated. The Ext that is referenced in Section 10.1.13 then in section K.3.1.2 part a. Then references to K.3.1.2 part b for hand held is basically meaning three types of extinguishant exist Small, Medium and Large. Should all reference Appendex 1 in the K section but does not, not sure why. The answer from the table is 1.75lt minimum, which I always find funny as Small is the same as medium for hand held. Make sure it is well fastened to the car and is reachable when harness is on. Note if you are going for a plumbed in system then the medium is 2.25lt

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 11:46:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

A picture of the highly sophisticated catch tank on ME 177:

Reply from our in-house scroot BGS re Constant's question about catch tanks:  "That is fine" - short and sweet!

this actually means replacing a well engineered and highly efficient de facto "catch" system by a backyard solution just to meet the definition of "catch tank" as per the blue book [:(]

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:02:34 »
Sorry - we are getting crossed wires here!

BGS's "That is fine" referred to your original question re the Mk IV system not the one on my ME.  Email exchange was as follows:

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:26:59 +0000 (GMT)
   To: Brian Gilbart-SmithSubject: SCROOT QUESTION

Brian

Constant Wagner has asked the following quetion on the club Forum re catch tanks for the Sprint - any thoughts?

"on the MkIV 302 EFI engine, the breather on rocker cover is connected to the intake duct, recirculating engine fumes into combustion. This de facto gives an unlimited capacity catch tank. Is this sufficient or would I need to modify this?"

Regards

Bryan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bryan
   That is fine
   Brian
   Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

UNQUOTE

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 12:06:48 »
so in resumé, for me with standard Mk IV it means following:
   - build strut in replacement of one of the bumper horns (to be on/off screwed at Goodwood)
   - fix medium size fire extinguisher into cockpit (this is always useful, but only replaces the existing, not solidly fixed system)
   - bring along the mufflers I bought at Castle Combe when we had a track day there in the fall of 2009, to ensure the Mk IV meets the noise requirements
   - put catch tank not knowing what effect the deviation of the recirculation of engine fumes might have on proper functioning of the EFI system, unless I make a recirculation from the catch tank itself, meaning that the catch tank will be in between breather and inlet manifold original "catch tank" setup is OK
   - throttle return spring is OK
   - mark ignition key with on/off signs
   - have to check if helmet and overalls are still meeting the MSA spec that have changed this year (this is due anyway though)

quite a bit of trouble, for the sake of being able to just do about 5 laps on Goodwood motorcircuit [:D][?]
   but with the benefit of spending a nice day with the ACOC friends [;)]

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 13:53:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

Sorry - we are getting crossed wires here!

sorry I had read it differently

OK got it now: MKIV original setup is fine [:)]

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 20:31:33 »
Just caught up on this one - yes, that's how I understand it.

aaron

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 01:37:26 »
Sorry Guys,cant help you with your header tanks,but I will be there to take lots of photo`s and to say hello to a few of you . [:)]

BEX 288

• View Profile
2010 Goodwood Sprint
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 21:54:25 »
Hi,
   is the answer above as regards the MSA requirements any different for an AC Ace Bristol?