Author Topic: CF31 up for sale  (Read 9371 times)

cliffordl

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:08:53 »
Discreet ad in the latest ACtion, car is a drophead. No further details listed.

FruaFan

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 16:19:40 »
How do I find this ad? Thanks, Alex

FruaFan

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 22:54:33 »
Could someone post some details of the ad for those of us who don't get the magazine? Thanks, Alex

terry3000me

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 23:38:28 »
Alex details are available to ACOC members, would you consider joining the Club?
   Terry

FruaFan

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 16:54:00 »
Terry,
   Just point me in the right direction. I would definitely be interested in joining.
   Alex

cobham cobra

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 17:06:26 »
Right answer [:D]

nikbj68

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 18:44:17 »

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 04:53:13 »
This is certainly a great looking  automobile! I think this might be the original colour of Jeffrey's  car.

Emmanuel[:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 18:55:10 »
CF 31 for sale.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C247464

J Jones

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:23:04 »
This may be posted elsewhere, but CF31 was reported as having sold for $225,000 at RM auctions sale in London. This from "Sports Car Market" magazine, February 2012 issue

lyonheart84

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 10:02:22 »
Jeffrey the catalogue estimate for this car was £ 120,000 to £ 155,000, and the stated selling price was £ 140,000, the dollar equivalent will depend I guess on the prevailing exchange rate. I don't know if this figure given by RM was inclusive or exclusive of commission.......

lyonheart84

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 10:05:03 »
PS at today's exchange rate, that is about $ 215,000, but I'm not sure what the rate was in October 2011

J Jones

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 18:37:37 »
Don't know either, Brett. I just "reported" what was said in SCM. The Editors comment is as follows:

"Said to be one of 29 built.  Convertibles sell for more money than Coupes (see profile in the December 2011 SCM), but this price must have pleased even Andy Shepherd, the 428 Registrar who is always telling me these cars are worth $190k-plus, despite auction prices indicating otherwise. Well sold at just $15k under the $240k high pre-sale estimate."
   to which I might add: "CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION". (see reference on this forum to the car profiled in the December 2011 SCM, cited by the Editor, above)
   (analagous to the first three rules of real estate, Location, location, Location)

lyonheart84

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 21:20:15 »
Yes Jeffrey, I agree, condition and/or low mileage is everything. Mind you with only 29 convertibles around I guess that word 'rarity' has a big say in values improving ! By the way I just rejoined the club for the first time in many years, much less hassle for me to do now the PayPal is up and running !

J Jones

• View Profile
CF31 up for sale
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 23:36:07 »
Welcome back, Brett.

According to Paul's (Classicus) Frua registry, there are now 70 AC 428's accounted for, in total. Included in that total are 428's re-bodied as Cobras.

That's a very thin market.

A thin market makes valuation difficult.

"Story" cars don't appeal to some Collectors. Many "collectors" want something immediately identifiable, and desire 'the best of the best' to lord over other owners of the same make or model.

Here's an example: the 1958 Chevrolet Impala - a car that has many admirers, and pulls good prices today:

With a six-cylinder engine, a Chevrolet Bel Air Impala started at $2,586, while $2,693 bought a V8. In all, 55,989 convertibles and 125,480 Sport Coupes were built, 15 percent of production. Interiors held a two-spoke steering wheel and color-keyed door panels with brushed aluminum trim. (copied from Wikipedia)

OK! more than 175,000 Impalas built in 1958. Just 15% of the otherwise Identical  total production of chevrolet for that year. Some Impalas sell for MORE than CF31 fetched at auction! Confounding? OK - everything sells for what "the market" determines. But REALLY!....

I think it's odd (here in the USA) that Corvettes (for example) have such a strong market pull. There are 100's of thousands, possibly more than a million Corvettes still in existance. What is "rarity'?

Most American cars sold 100's of thousands of examples, year after year. Mass produced. I've seen cars being auctioned, and touted as "1 of 1" because the car was ORIGINALLY  painted teal, with a three speed column shift and "dog dish" hubcaps! Well whoop-de-doo! That's "exclusivity" for you. (Who could possibly care?)

The unusual aspect of 428's is their undeniable lineage starting from the ACE through the Cobra. A little esoteric for some, a little too complicated, perhaps - but clearly true.

I think this makes the car VERY desireable.

Some quibble that the 428 has no visual kinship to the "Cobra" shape. My retort: who cares?

Which is more important:
      1) What it LOOKS like.
             -or-
       2) What it does, and how well it does it.

It's a GT!. It was not intended to be a race car - though it COULD be raced (Andy + Boris).

It can easily trounce the competative cars of it's era.

It's genuinely extremely rare.

It's very good looking (to most eyes)

It can be serviced, maintained and improved economically. (consider Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin etc. How much for an engine re-build? Suspension upgrade?. There's no comparison!)

Truthfully, Brett - low mileage really does not matter much regarding 428's. They can easily be fixed (compared to other "Exotics" of the period).  All the running gear is available, much of it improved over time.

Frankly, I doubt many 428's actually accumulated much mileage. My car, for example, ran so hot that 30 minutes was about as much as the driver or the car could stand.
   So now - it's fixed! (and by "fixed", I mean WITHOUT making any 'chemical' change). Runs cool - passengers happy, engine happy.

And I've got an indicated 44,444 miles on the odometer. More to come, I expect.

'BLOW WINDS! CRACK YOUR CHEEKS!". There's no accounting for taste. And it's tough, arguing with "what is" vs "what should be" (according to me, I suppose)

---end of rant---
         sorry