Author Topic: Oil and fludis for Aceca? Engine, Gearbox, Diff, Clutch, Brake, cooling system  (Read 1692 times)

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Hello!
I am quite new so sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn’t find precise reference.
So I thought we could consolidate this in a single post. But if the information is already available, please feel free to delete this post and thank you in advance for addressing me to the existing posts.

•   I would like to ask which oil people are using for a CLB Engine.
I see the manual suggest a 30W, but I see 20w50 is used as well now. Which is the current standard?

•   For gearbox oil, the manual suggest same as engine oil. So 30W should be used? Or 20W50 would be ok as well?

•   Differential oil, I think this is a no-brainer, 90 Hypoid is the norm.

•   For clutch and brake fluid, the manual suggests Girling fluid only. Not sure if still available.
What is the current practice for this? DOT4 is ok? Or aggressive on the seal?

•   For the cooling system water + antifreeze is ok? What is the best to try to preserve the aluminum of the engine block? Which percentage of Antifreeze? Which type?

Thanks!!!
Eddie

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Hello!
i purchased Castrol DOT4 for the brake and clutch.

For the differential i have ordered "Motul Allgear EPL 90" , SAE 90 Hypoid oil

For the engine i have decided to go with 20W50.

Probably Motul Classic:
https://www.motul.com/it/en/products/20w50

or Castrol Classic XL:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-1925A-Classic-20W50-Liter/dp/B00OIPYLS0?ref_=ast_sto_dp

What would you buy?
I have as well heard owenrs are using Valvoline VR1 racing oil: https://pisheets.valvoline.com/#/valvoline-vr1-racing-20w-50
But i dont think is appropiate for the type of use of the car i am planning.

For the gearbox, i am planning to use the 30 W as per manual. 20W50 might be a bit too heavy.
For this i plan on using Castrol classic:https://www.amazon.it/Castrol-Classic-XL-30-litri/dp/B002MGU56E/

Eddie

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
The DOT4 fluid is fine for both clutch  and braking systems.

I'm afraid that I'm unfamiliar with both the Motul and Valvoline oils but
they are both large oil companies that I'm sure produce quality oils.

Castrol Classic XL 20W50 is a perfectly good choice for the AC engine.
Also, the Castrol Classic 30W oil will be fine for the gearbox.

EP90 oil is correct for the differential but don't overfill it.
The handbook gives the capacity of 3 pints (1.7 liters).

For the cooling system an antifreeze/water mix of at least 30/70 percent will
work unless your planning a trip to Alaska this winter. ;D

Waterless coolants such as Evans Classic cool are also an option but the cooling
system will need to be completely drained of all water based coolant, before refilling
with waterless coolant. AEX 31 in Sweden has been running his car on Evans for the
last couple of years without any issues.

Regards, Luke.

SpqrEddie

• View Profile

EP90 oil is correct for the differential but don't overfill it.
The handbook gives the capacity of 3 pints (1.7 liters).

Thank you for all the advice.

ok, well noted for the differential. So this means that the filling hole is not at the level of 3 pints? and it can be easly overfilled?
I will measure before to fill.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:41:37 by SpqrEddie »

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
The differential filler plug has a dipstick but if you fill it according to the marks on this it will be over
the 3 pint capacity and will tend to blow oil out of the breather.
This is due to the ENV differential unit being a generic part normally fitted to a banjo style
axle casing. It does not take in to account that the design of the AC differential housing will
allow for a greater quantity of oil inside.

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Thank you Luke.

Regarding the choice of oil, i still have my dilemma of Castrol vs Motul.

Motul Customer service wrote me that theirZDDP level is 1100 ppm.

I spoke with Castrol as well, and the customer service represntative informed me that their Castrol Classic XL 20W50  has 820 ppm. In their wiew this is more then enough, and higher than the norm. As well in their view a too high zinc level can harm the engine when standing for too long.
I belive that an high Zinc level is important for flat tappets, but the AC engine has roller followers.

On their webste, they advice to use 20W50 for the AC Aceca, and the customer service repesentative said this is what they reccomend for cars with an external cardrige filter.  the 20W50 being more detergent than the 30, wich tend instead to drop impurities on the bottom of the sump.

Best,
Eddie

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Hello!
I went for Castrol for engine oil in the end.
After having drained the oil that was in the car since i think 10 years! it was very very bad. 
I will do now an "engine wash", with some basic 20w50 i bough at the local auto parts store, and after running it a bit, i will drain it and then replace it with Castrol.

I am a bit concerned as it arrived in the nice vintage Castrol tin, but those tins are not sealed! it this normal? hopefully it is the genuine castrol oil inside.

thanks!

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
On the Coolant, i realize that is explained in the manual.
The Company reccomends an antifreeze with high ethelene glycol content.

but i would go for just plain deionised water initally.

Eddie

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
The VSCC published some work done with antifreeze liquids & it is recommended that the original Classic 'Bluecol' be used as it suits the engine make up of the older engines, i have this for my engines!
By the way i use classic semi synthetic 20/50 oil which a number of oil suppliers have available!
Robin

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
The VSCC published some work done with antifreeze liquids & it is recommended that the original Classic 'Bluecol' be used as it suits the engine make up of the older engines, i have this for my engines!
By the way i use classic semi synthetic 20/50 oil which a number of oil suppliers have available!
Robin

Thank you!
i didnt knew it was still avilable!
https://www.tetrosyl.com/brands/bluecol/
Will look for it, do you know wich type? i see different are avilable.
Thanks!
Eddie

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
'Bluecol' 2-year antifreeze.
Robin

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Thank you Robin!
do you use it all year around? or just winter?

thanks for the info on the oil. For the time beeing i bought Castrol Classic XL 20W50 .
May be next time i will try semi synt.

Thanks!