Author Topic: Getting to grips with Ol Girls Front disc conversion.  (Read 1136 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Getting to grips with Ol Girls Front disc conversion.
« on: October 18, 2022, 15:52:37 »
Hi ya been off of here for a bit. Been busy driving and day to day living.

So getting down to disc conversion for the winter rest.

I have stripped the old wheel studs from some spare hubs. That was a task as did not know if they were screw in's or push fit's. They turned out to be screw in's. This required the peening on the rear of the hub to be ground off and a 1/4 drill into the rear of the stud to weaken it, then I used an Irwin 13mm bolt/stud extractor on a bar to remove. they were very tight. The hub thread was still tapered from the peening even when removed. (see pics).

I have offered up the discs to the hubs to see were they sit, these are Land-rover Defender vented discs. the stud holes have been enlarged to take the new linger wheel studs that will be fitted to the hubs. I have estimated that I will need a spacer of approx 32mm (need to do a bit more measuring yet to finalise) fitted between the hub and the disc, this will be made to fit tight to the hub cone and a spigot flange to fit inside the disc centre bore.

I am going to use the rear drum brake plate to make a pattern for the disc calliper bracket in 1/4 steel plate.

I will be fitting the hubs with some spare bearings I have to mock it up.

The wheels I have at present are 4 3/4 x 5  pcd with adaptors, these wheels will be redrilled to 5x5 pcd as per hubs. The then will fit to the extended wheel studs that will go through the hub spacer and disc.

Still I am getting there. Slowly slowly catchee monkey.

Cheers  G

A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Jam2

• View Profile
Re: Getting to grips with Ol Girls Front disc conversion.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 18:01:29 »
I do enjoy your postings, thanks for sharing.
John

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 17:27:04 »
Gary,
An interesting and challenging project. I'm sure, with your customary determination, you will succeed; but here's a question. Imagine the scene:
It is a wet and cold night. The rain has been coming down steadily all evening. A dithering O.A.P., just like me, approaches a Zebra Crossing intent on reaching the Fish & Chip shop on the other side of the road. Meanwhile a young, lithe driver in a 2 Litre Saloon, just like you, has been driving across town, adhering strictly to the speed limits. As the 2 Litre approaches the Zebra Crossing the O.A.P steps out, concerned only that the Chipper might be closed. Now the question - would the O.A.P sooner the approaching A.C. had drum or disc brakes fitted ?
Barrie

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 19:08:25 »
Hi Barrie

You surely have never met me, Lithe? Young? anyway, clearly disc brakes win, at least the OAP will make to the chip shop.

Not quite sure of the point you are making but, being a dithering OAP myself maybe I am missing the point.

At least I will be able to see him with my very bright Led headlamps ;D

Cheers John for comment.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 19:15:29 by GSouthee »

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 15:33:38 »
Hi Guys hope you had a good un.

Just a quick update re disc brake conversion.

Mocked up some Caliper brackets in 12mm ply. Going to do do them in Perspex to get a better smoother template for them to be laser cut in steel.

All looks to fit.

see pics.

Gary

My car my rules.

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 21:19:17 »
Glad to see your keeping busy over the festive season Gary.
Looks like a neat job but not sure I’d bother with the perspex though as brake parts are all cast so not well fettled and out of sight behind the wheels anyway.
That said it is your car and you are doing some impressive work with it so don’t let me stop you.
I am cleaning up the engine bay on a Vauxhall Chevette so that is my excuse for dodging the family.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 09:58:32 »
Hi Col

A festive period, so boring as you get older. ;)

The reason for using Perspex (if they ever send me the bits I've ordered, if not I will try some MDF) is that I can refine the shape and get it ready for either laser cut from 10 and 12mm  steel plate or CNC'd in one piece, if I find a suitable place to CNC it the it can be scanned in.

Also looking a some alloy calipers from Hi Spec et al. These would be lighter than the Landrover ones.

It is a slow moving project as I find better alternatives.

Had some great help from the fellas on NRSA.

I had a Chevette and then a Firenza, both great little cars.

Gary

My car my rules.