Author Topic: MK IV tie rods needed  (Read 1835 times)

westcott

• View Profile
MK IV tie rods needed
« on: September 07, 2022, 12:27:00 »
After TÜV inspection 2 weeks before i needed to replace my tie rods or inner tie rods, the descriptions sometimes are different but it is that part at Moss:
https://mossmotors.com/tie-rod-1

Best would be a tie rod assembly ( #3 in the link below) or just the single parts like the rod, the ball housing, ball housing locking nut and the seat.

I tried to find MGB spares for the listed parts above but had no luck to locate new spares here in Germany.

Does anyone have a good source for the MGB parts I need urgently?

I replaced the worn tie rods with used original parts but want to rework the steering rack during next winter.

Thanks, Uwe

Link with steering rack parts:
https://mossmotors.com/mgb/suspension-steering/steering/steering-rack-and-components

PS: It is not possible to buy a "new" rack and use the inner parts for an original MGB rack rework. The external interfaces will fit inside a MGB but all the internals are completely different and from lower quality. Ask me how i know..

« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 12:35:29 by westcott »
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Re: MK IV tie rods needed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 21:00:34 »
Uwe,
I find it hard to see how the tie rods wear? The Track rod end  ball joints -yes I can figure that happening.
I noticed that Moss have a French office/base-they may have the parts you need.
Hopefully you have resolved  the issue.
Regards,
Graham

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 22:07:53 »
Uwe, you know the steering rack ball joint, has a collar each side to adjust wear?

PM me if you need the name of a UK reconditioner.

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 17:55:08 »
In the meantime I received 2 pairs of tie rods from Moss in the US.
Wear startet a long time ago with cracks in the rubber boots and water and sand coming in. That created some wear on the rod ball and collar. My car was not serviced that well before I bought it.
The former owner told me that he did some fun races at sandy beaches…I removed a lot sand between inside body and frame.  :-X

Some used but in good condition parts from MGB racks found their way to my spare parts shelfs as well.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!