Author Topic: MKIV steering shaft grommet  (Read 1836 times)

cobradoc

• View Profile
MKIV steering shaft grommet
« on: July 15, 2022, 16:33:34 »
Does anyone know where to get replacement grommet for MKIV steering shaft where it goes through the foot box?  The ones for mustangs I’ve seen are a different shape.  Also do you need to completely remove the steering column or can you loosen it and separate one of the joints enough to slide new one on?

AC Ventura

• View Profile
Re: MKIV steering shaft grommet
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 16:14:20 »
I don’t know where to get the bearing, but undo the connections both ends and you can remove the link shaft. Mark the steering wheel position relative to the column before you do anything.

cobradoc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 17:41:39 »
Yes I was able to separate the steering column where it came through the foot box and pull it through opening there.  My problem it what put back n there to support the steering shaft where it comes through the foot box.I don’t know what was there originally - rubber grommet, neopreme bushing? What ever was there has completely disentigrated and the steering shaft is just banging around the hole in that metal plate mounted on the front of the foot box. I got a MKIV parts list and it said “steering shaft foot box to firewall grommet changed to mustang bushing”.  It didn’t say what year and the ones I did I find for the 1980’s mustang didn’t look the same.

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 17:41:21 »
This is the part that worked on AK1099
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-CRC360
Best
Michael

cobradoc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 20:16:59 »
Thanks I’ve been looking for something just like and couldn’t find the right size. That makes this job alot easier. It will nice to hit bump in the road without hearng that banging.  Thanks again

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 10:55:18 »
Depends on what steering column is mounted, can you post a picture from the old bearing or grommet?
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

cobradoc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 19:20:58 »
Sorry Tried to send picture it won’t send I have it on low resolution , but still too big. I finally made a nylon bushing to fit on that plate where the shaft goes through the foot box.  I’ll see how that works.  I also bought some rubber grommets from rimmer bro’s (got info from previous post). The one problem with use of either one of these is the splines are right in the middle of the metal plate the shaft goes through so there will be rapid wear.  By the way the bushing or grommet that came with the car had completely disentigrated so I have no idea what it looked like.

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 22:10:25 »
I redesigned mine with a ball bearing.