Author Topic: AC EFX Chassis on B.A.T.  (Read 1314 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
AC EFX Chassis on B.A.T.
« on: July 19, 2022, 20:20:02 »
An AC chassis that is stated as built for an Electric Vehicle prototype was just a no-sale on BAT at over $37K US. I was never even aware that AC was thinking about an EV. Anyone know more history on these?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ac-cobra-efx-chassis/m?

Maybe this should be in the Cobra forum?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 20:25:38 by pjbowman »
Peter B.

Vincent998

• View Profile
Re: AC EFX Chassis on B.A.T.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 21:33:57 »
You should look at the 428 Forum here ....  ;D

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 11:22:02 »
Hi Peter, I've read the 428 page and the posts on Bring-a-Trailer, these debates always fascinate me if I'm honest.

Reading the orginal BaT posting, these chassis were provided by AC to a company called Eletric Fuel Propulsion in Detroit. EFP was based in Ferndale which is somewhat in the middle of the big-3's locations, although closest to GM's old head offices at Cadillac Place. Reading between the lines I think the Cobra chassis would have been chosen because it creates a good platform to build into a prototype. I work for Ford in the UK and these prototypes would be a called a 'Mule' (or 'Buck' if it's stationary).

There seems to be some debate as to whether the chassis were actually built by AC, but then I'd question whether AC would in fact build their own chassis on site (as they didn't build their own bodies) most car companies would assemble but not fabricate, as fab'ing steel with all the cutting and grinding is quite a messy business. I'd like someone to inform me whether AC did make their own chassis. So a possible explanation is that the chassis were sourced via AC for EFP, but may never have passed through the AC premises, although pure conjecture on my part.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 11:48:44 »
James,

The Cobra Register introduction (ACOC website members area) reads:
Other Similar Chassis
AC made a further 98 Thames Ditton coil-spring chassis of similar design to the Cobra, but generally with longer wheelbases. They comprised:
•   81 AC 428 96” wheelbase chassis (see 428 Frua Register)
•   8 Electric Fuel Propulsion 90” chassis (EFX 501 to EFX 508)
•   5 Paramount Film chassis (three 135” and two 117”) for the film Monte Carlo or Bust (COB6128 to COB6132)
•   2 Ghia convertible chassis (CSX 5001 and CSX 5002)
•   One 96” Ghia chassis (CS3063)
•   One 428-type chassis (believed to be 96”) for Cam Classic Automotive Inc USA (MX-1).

AC made their own chassis: cutting and grinding was an in-house activity.

Robin Stainer

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 14:16:30 »
Robin,

Ah, thanks for this explanation. There appears little question then, that AC did build these chassis, contary to some of the comments on the 428 forum about information from the Hurlock family.

Personnaly, $37k for a genuine Thames Ditton chassis onto which to build an 'EFX' 427/8 Cobra doesn't seem like poor value. However the size of the task is huge, whilst it appears that there is the beginnings of a car, what there probably only represents 15% of a full car. But if it was built by the right people, and sourced some genuine period parts the car would be little different to a fully restored Cobra.

James