Author Topic: AC Ace steering box?  (Read 9852 times)

AEX 31

• View Profile
Re: AC Ace steering box?
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2023, 03:34:23 »
Good morning Michael,

Well “rock solid” at 100 km/h possibly! I was out yesterday and was getting up to 120 km/h which would equate to 75 mph and that feels okay, maybe not rock solid though!

It would be interesting to hear from members on this forum and their experiences with front end stability at higher speeds? I also believe that the type of wheels and tyres, not to mention their condition (!) are important factors in how an Ace or Aceca behaves at higher speeds.

Something I’m interested to hear about is if there is anybody that has any experience with using Blockley tyres on an Ace? I have spoken to people that have used them on other cars from the same period that are very positive towards them.

Jonas

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2023, 11:02:39 »
Something I’m interested to hear about is if there is anybody that has any experience with using Blockley tyres on an Ace? I have spoken to people that have used them on other cars from the same period that are very positive towards them.

Hello Jonas,

I have been running Blockley Cross Ply tyres on my Ace for 5 years, in the standard 5.50x16" size. Although comparing them with the worn out Michelin X tyres that they replaced would not be completely fair, I have been very pleased with the Blockleys as they make for I think a very good handling and have made the steering feel lighter and more reponsive than it is. Mine are now certainly less sticky and a little harder than they were new but they still perform very well, at least for sparse road use. I have found a necessity to overinflate them when letting the car sit for several weeks in order to avoid flats, which take some driving getting rid of even on a light car like an Ace. This is perhaps their only drawback, though I guess all tyres suffer from flats on cars used not often enough.
A cosmetic plus for me is that Blockley Cross Plys have a wider sidewall and make the car look a bit more serious and grown up than with any of the other slimmer radial offerings that make the car look very dated, nearly with bicycle wheels.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:05:44 by TTM »

AEX 31

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2023, 21:04:31 »
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experiences about the Blockley tyres. As mentioned earlier I have heard of positive experiences about these tyres on other cars so glad that this is also the case when fitted on an Ace. Especially that it makes the steering feel lighter in comparison with old X’s, would you say that high speed stability is also improved? I have tried a number of different tyres and at the moment 31 is fitted with Excelsior 5.50 x 16 radial tyres that work okay but they are rather loud over 50-60 mph.

By the way, could I ask you if your car an early or later car with rubber or bronze bushes?

You mentioned that the Blockley’s look nice on an Ace, you wouldn’t happen to have an image that shows how it looks? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Jonas

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2023, 23:59:41 »
Jonas

Rock steady at 100 kph is better than the dreaded tracking. Needs a flat, smooth and dry road. Dare I ask whether at straight ahead you have slightest drag or a bit of free play and,if so, how much?

Michael

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2023, 02:12:20 »
Jonas

You refer to 'old X's'. As Barrie Bird put it to me 'if your tyres are 10+ years old any replacements will transform your car'.

Michael

AEX 31

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2023, 12:55:44 »
Michael,

There is the slightest drag at roughly a 100 kph, but I have to say that I'm rather pleased with how the car behaves now. I feel I can trust it a whole lot more now than before.

The type of tyre and condition / age of the tyre and condition of the road you drive on are definitely all very important factors in how the car behaves.  I have driven 31 with:
Antique Michelin X's, Dunlop Racing, Excelsior Racing (Cross ply), Excelsior Radial and modern Michelin X's, all 5.50 x 16.

What I find intriguing is that straight line stability was possibly better with the 20 year old Michelin's than the new X’s, grip is something else though!

Jonas