Author Topic: The last RS car is born  (Read 20586 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 16:36:24 »
A little blurp on the SAAC website outlining the start up of AC Auto Kraft, LLC. This is now defunct, but it is where this RS car came from.

http://www.saac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=2

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 14:33:08 »
The last RS is nearing completion. It's amazing how you think you're soo close and than there are a lot of finicky details that take for ever to complete. But if you want it perfect....  I will probably pick the car up and bring it home this weekend and start installing the carpet. Unfortunately we are getting dumped on with snow, so no test drives and carburettor tuning for me, at least not until April of next year. But, Hey: what a Christmas present, and it's even red!!! Makes Santa's sleigh look like a toy!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 15:03:02 »
Finally she's home!!!
   Amazingly for three days we had a major thaw, heavy rain and it was 45 degrees Fahrenheit, melting 60 inches of snowfall to near nothing. This allowed for a convenient haul of the Ace in the trailer from Ron's shop. Even allowed me to drive it a little and tune the DCOE Webers. The 260 revs freely with them and feels very smooth and powerful with great torque. The exhaust note is beautiful. Not loud, but just the right snarl. The rear end gearing is purposefully low, so it will do great in touring with the toploader 4 speed. I will now have to install the carpets and fit and finish the tonneau cover. After the springs have settled a bit, do a final "nut-'n-bolt" to make sure everything is safe and tight and then do a final alignment.

jrlucke

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 17:53:10 »
Gus, great looking Christmas present! Terrific job in getting the car together from scratch and in only 6 months! A lot of these projects take years to complete.

John

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 18:24:23 »
Thanks for the compliments! Mind you, it was more than 6 months! More like 14-15!

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 23:31:44 »
90% of the carpeting is in. A couple more pieces to bind and glue in. Also, have to wrap the cowl hoop stays in leather. Tonneau cover needs a zipper to take out the driver's side. So only a few more tweaks and it's done!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 16:01:46 »
Hi Gus, stunning car. I think the early cars are so much more pleasing to the eyes than the MARKIII.. If you need any kind of original brakes or suspension bits, give a call to George Petrus at Accurate Machine Products here in Southern  California. His number is (310) 370 4075. He machines new Girling calipers, rotors, hubs and nearly all suspension bits for Cobras. All the restoration shops around here use his bits.

Anyway, love the car.

Emmanuel

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 01:33:20 »
Thanks for a kind compliments.

I will soon post some completed photos. This coming weekend I will be driving it to Wisconsin for the Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman. It is one of the largest gatherings of vintage racecars in the US. Approximately 1000 race cars will be entered. I will show the AC at the Saturday night concourse in down town Elkhart. Hopefully it will not be a complete rained out disaster like last year!

I know George Petrus. He kind of is retired and puts work out rather irregularly now. But he does do fantastic work!

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 02:39:41 »
As promised, some photos:

The car drives lovely. Very smooth, good power and shifts comfortably. Nice, raspy exhaust, but not overbearing. I'll leave that to the 289 FIA!. Next winter's project will be to adjust the springs. I don't like the ride height and I will have the springs adjusted to set the car about 1.5 inches lower. I will also have the windscreen re-done with more rake to it. It's too upright and in my opinion, even at 60 degrees of rake, breaks the sleek lines of the car too much. Which is surprising, as a stock windscreen sits at 45 degrees. Other than that, this is a wonderful car to drive!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:38 »
Very nice! Real nice trio.

Emmanuel

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 07:45:45 »
... and a really nice location [:)]

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 06:12:52 »
Really, really nice Gus.  Love the Aceca too.  Looks like our cars are cousins!

Have fun,
   Rob

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:58 »
Except yours has a fantastic sounding Bristol engine in it... Loved seeing your car at Laguna Seca last year. Are you doing the race again this August?

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 01:32:51 »
Thanks for the compliments, Mark. I never thought of that, but I took your suggestion and sent an email to the editor of Octane. An outstanding Magazine, by the way. I've been subscribed to it for a number of years.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The last RS car is born
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 04:07:45 »
Got a nice reply from Octane. Looks like someone beat me to it!!

Hi Gus

Thanks for getting in touch – your car does look gorgeous.

Unfortunately we have just done a photoshoot on an AC Ace owned by the Ace registrar Tony Bancroft here in the UK. It has a great racing history and has been the subject of an amazing £100,000 restoration.

The feature will be running in a couple of months time, and I’m afraid we won’t be able to run another Ace feature for some time afterwards.

Best wishes

Mark

Mark Dixon
   Deputy Editor
   Octane