Author Topic: Tyres for Mk IV & CRS  (Read 2998 times)

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Tyres for Mk IV & CRS
« on: June 15, 2006, 14:54:29 »
Hello All MkIV and CRS drivers,

Following up on a discussion on the topic "CRS owners unite", I like to hereby continue on the tyre topic.

As mentioned earlier on, MkIVs were originally equipped with 15" rims, later switched to 16", as on the CRSs. 17" Halibrands have also been available, though not AC factory original.

For 16" rimmed MkIVs and CRSs, the tyre spec is 225/50 VR 16 front and 255/50 VR 16 rear.
   Most probably 55 section tyres do fit but are not necessarily road legal for the car, depending on the views/rules of the national authorities (MOT, TüV, Mines etc).
   It should help to know about your experiences with currently available tyres for the different rim sizes.

As I had mentioned to Bruce (C9OBY), Michelin are offering again the Pilot Sport in the correct 225 and 255/50 ZR 16 size, in their Collector Tyre program. My dealer here in Luxembourg has quoted a price of 192 € front and 355 € rear apiece & mounting & VAT. Delivery wihtin a week.

My MkIV currently sits on General Tyres in correct VR speed index, but they are more designed for SUVs! And are quite bad on damp and wet roads, though in the dry they do work fine. Although 50 section, their looks are somewhat narrower than the equivalent Good Year tyres originally mounted on the car in 1993 (I still carry an unused spare front wheel in my boot).

For information and feedback.
   Regards
   Constant Wagner
   Luxembourg