Author Topic: AC Ace Side Screen Envelope  (Read 1585 times)

1956_AC_Ace

• View Profile
AC Ace Side Screen Envelope
« on: January 18, 2022, 22:52:44 »
Following a search of the garage where my Ace was stored by the previous owner, I found, among other things, what's left of the envelope, or canvas bag that holds the car's side screens.  I think that what's left is good enough to use as a pattern to construct a new one.  Does anybody have any photos of an envelope that's in good shape that I can use as a reference?

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Re: AC Ace Side Screen Envelope
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 00:22:36 »
Here are 2 pictures of the envelope bag that came with my car.
Better pictures, pictures of details or measurements availabe.

Jerry

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 15:41:25 »
56_Ace - ..as my father would say, that looks perfectly usable! Seriously though I imagine you are not the first person to try to recreate these bags, a search through the archives might be fruitful. I'd certainly like a copy of the patterns if it gets that far. I know a company that could reproduce these in Romford London, which made my Ace hood, let me know if you'd like more details shared, they are cost effective, but you'll need to brief them face to face.

I don't have the Rinsey Mills book with me now, but I think the picture of the original hood bag would suggest it's got a bit more form to the large sides (i.e. not just the oval ends), almost box like, I wonder if there is supposed to be more form inside.

BEX316 - nice bags, do you have any idea what the two loops with lift-dot fasteners are designed to secure to?

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 00:12:23 »
These are the pictures on the sidescreen bag from the Rinsey Mills book and they look more or less similar to my pictures.
The text explains the way the bag can be attached to the tubes either side of the boot. I have never tried it but now that the subject is active I will give it a try!

Jerry

1956_AC_Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 17:50:16 »
Thanks to all who contributed above!!  Could somebody please tell me the dimensions of your Side Screen envelope, and perhaps provide photos of the envelope interior, with close-up photos?  I have a gentleman who will fabricate a new bag based upon everything that we provide.  Thank you!