Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 2049 times)

DGoose

• View Profile
Tyres
« on: May 12, 2022, 12:27:22 »
For any Ace owners looking for new front tyres in original size (225/50 16) I can highly recommend the Avon ZV-7

Fitted earlier this week to replace the old Dunlop's and not overly expensive at £172 for the pair fitted, front end stability is markedly improved. Sadly they don't do a 235 for the rear.

paho

• View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 15:07:42 »
I bought Uniroyal RainSport 5 for the front in 2020, the steering felt lighter but grip was fine.

Rear tyres are a problem, I see that Toyo Proxes T1A's are still available but seem to be quite rare,
I have these on the rear and am quite satisfied. I've been looking for 17 inch OZ exclusive wheels to increase the choice of tyres but
the only one's I've found were 4 bolt and the wrong offset. I hav'nt found any other wheeels that look "right" on the car sofar but still
looking......
/Paho
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 21:09:53 by paho »
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"

manxlowflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 16:20:07 »
I have spent hours trying to find matching tyres front and rear, not being happy purchasing mixed tread patterns, I stumbled upon this web site:-  https://tiresize.com/comparison/

My Proxes tyres are very old and now lacking grip although they still have masses of tread. Falken ZE310 Ecorun manufactures 225 and 235/60 R16 W rated which according to the tyre size comparison site makes a difference in speedo reading of 2mph at 30mph and 5mph at 70mph which I can live with on the Isle of Man as there is no speed limit on our derestricted roads. I have used Falken in the past on an Esprit V8 and been totally happy.

Can anyone see any pitfalls in this suggestion? Any comments would be appreciated before I contact Blackcircle online.

Thank you - Richard

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 18:03:47 »

I was looking at tyres earlier this year, due to a pin prick on edge of front tyre, that a few years ago would be repairable with a patch, but now the tyre shops won't patch it.
so wanting to keep all 4 tyres the same, and the Toyo Proxes no longer available in the se sizes, I did some measurements and looked at other options. I cam up with the idea of a slightly wider rear tyre, and found these are available:

2 x Yokohama A008P (Porsche) 225/50 R16 W (92), Asymmetrical
2 x Yokohama A008P (Porsche (N0)) 245/45 R16 W (94), Asymmetrical

So I go them, and had them fitted to my spare set of alloys after getting those refurbed.  Not gone far on them yet, but no problems, fit nicely, and look good, they have a more traditional tread pattern.

manxlowflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 18:45:05 »
Thank you for the information which is much appreciated.

After running the numbers in the Tyre Comparison website there seems to be less than 1% difference in circumference between front and rear and 6 revolutions difference per mile, I don't know how sophisticated the ABS system is - I would think that this small amount would not be a problem.

I will certainly have a look at the tyres this weekend.

manxlowflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 16:01:37 »
Eventually I fitted 225/55R16's all round all with the same tread pattern and have been using the car quite a bit during the good weather. I am very happy with the handling and looks, although initially I thought it may be necessary to tweak the adjustable shock absorbers for ride height but this has not been necessary. One of the original front wheels is now a spare as that is the only size that fits the storage space.

Now scratching my head over the hood!!

briannwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 20:34:38 »
I have 235 45 17 on the front. 255 40 17 on the rear . I am using Avon. You probably saw these at Dunkeld.