Author Topic: Jacking points  (Read 1078 times)

Vincent998

• View Profile
Jacking points
« on: May 10, 2022, 17:36:13 »
Hi all:

I wonder if the factory recommended any specific jacking points for the Aceca? I've got the original manual and jacking is not mentioned. It's important, because much of the undercarriage is far too weak to support the weight of the car and jacking will result in permanent damage. If none were factory recommended, what ones do owners recommend?

Thanks!
David

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Re: Jacking points
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 20:10:09 »
The best place to jack the Aceca & Ace are the main chassis tubes underneath the front & rear spring supports, the only problem is you would tend to jack the front & rear of the car! The outriggers running each side are as you indicate not very robust!
Not sure it would be safe to jack up the suspension wishbones as they can be damaged.
I am not an Ace or Aceca owner so you really need some owners experience!
Robin

Vincent998

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 21:05:36 »
Yes, but they are hard to get to, being way under the car. If you could get a jack under the center of the front triangular steering mount and under the center of the differential, that would be good, but I don't think my arms are long enough! Otherwise under the main frame tubes just ahead of the rear A-arms and just behind the front ones might work if one can reach them. Of course the wheels are in the way ....

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 13:03:53 »
Always under the dif or the the front sub frame with a piece of soft wood, for me.

Bear in mind that there's realy no substantial tubing out board of that as the chassis tube don't extend forward of the front subframe or rearward of the differential frame. I know the Cobra's used quick jack points on the front and rear bumpers which makes me wince. It's not just about whether it can take the weight, but also not too flex the body too much you might crack paint etc..

JE

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 22:21:46 »
Vincent

I always carry a light weight  Aluminium roller  trolley jack in BEX333, (Ace Bristol) and as James and Robin State. Lift front on main cross member ( using a small block of wood to save damage to paint finish on chassis cross member.)
As my ali trolley jack has front  roller it easily slides under a Ace /Aceca and Cobra,   I can comfortably raise the rear by clearing the fuel Tank ( mine is Ali) small block of wood with pre drilled hole  allows one to lift via the diff with the drain plug recessed into pre drilled hole.
Have used this method at home and on the road over the past 20 plus years... Would never use a bottle jack.
Speed and Safety First... Especially if on Motor way or in precarious  location.    :)

Out riggers are not suitable to use as jacking points.   ;)

Keith
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 23:52:49 by AC Ace Bristol »