Author Topic: AC Cars LTD plate  (Read 11228 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 02:48:43 »
Dear Nik,

I have email Steve Gray twice with no reply. Could you please contact him for me.

Thanks,
   Fred[8D]

Ak 1385

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 13:28:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1131

I found this plate on a 1993 AK posted for sale on Hemmings. Is this plate real? I have never seen one with Brooklands,Surrey,England only Thames Ditton on vintage Cobras.

Please view at:
   http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ac/cobra/759109.html#more_photos

Ak 1385

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 14:22:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1131

I found this plate on a 1993 AK posted for sale on Hemmings. Is this plate real? I have never seen one with Brooklands,Surrey,England only Thames Ditton on vintage Cobras.

Please view at:
   http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ac/cobra/759109.html#more_photos

I have not cruised the Forum for over a year, and I just found this thread about my car. Unfortunately, much of the confusion comes from my Broker's lack of attention to the detailed information I provided to him.

ANF289 posted information that I had provided to him early in my research into my car (at the time that I first put it up for sale). I now know that, at that point, there was still much to learn about my car; especially as a result of obtaining all of the build sheets and purchase information from John Owen.

To put some of this to rest: I believe everyone knows that not all AKL's are equal. There were around 47 AKL chassis numbers. However, there were only about 20 true Lightweights built. The remaining Lightweights were built along the lines of the standard AK but with cosmetic and power upgrades.

My car does not have an AKL, but it was built with the cosmetic and power upgrades as set out in the 1992 Autokraft Lightweight Specifications. I have no answer for how this happened. The build sheets show that it was originally built as an EEC car, and was sitting in the London Showroom in that form. The sheets also show that it was converted back to U.S. legal specs. for import here. It is a fully documented, legal U.S. car.

The engine is the original engine and was modified by the first owner shortly after the car was delivered. He is a serious vintage car owner and racer, and he had his crew chief supervise the modifications which were done by a professional Ford engine shop. It is a beautiful job, runs perfectly, and is emission legal. Unfortunately, that was the extent of the information I was able to get from the original owner.

I hope this helps to clear things up. I would be happy to provide additional information. My car is still for sale and it would be nice to see it ended up with an AC enthusiast.

Sorry about the earlier blank post. I am new at this.

AK1161

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 06:31:02 »
Just out of interest, if there were 47 AKL cars manufactured but only about 20 that are true lightweights does anybody know the AKL numbers of the 20 and what makes them true lightweights and different to the other AKL's
   Thanks, Luke

SB7019

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 16:33:42 »
The chassis numbers should be detailed in the MkIV register which is available to all members on this site.   The differences that denote a "real" lightweight are:

Twin tube rather than telescopic bumper supports
    Short nose
    Two rather than three wipers
    Straight dash with Mk3 instruments and switches[8)]
    VW rather than Ford Scorpio steering column
    Mk3 door panels and door catches
    Roll bar down tubes visible inside cabin
    No headrests or mounts for them
    No "lips" on rear wheel arches
    No side repeaters above side vents and in rear wheel arches
    No reversing lamp set into rear valance
    AC pedals
    Aston filler inset to RH side rear wing and fuel tank on boot floor as opposed to behind bulkhead

15 inch wheels
    SVO engine with 345 HP

Am working from memory so do not claim that this is a comprehensive list and welcome any amendments/ additions.   Looks to me that the vehicle that is the subject of this post only qualifies on  4 counts:-  the wipers, the short nose, the dash and the steering column