Author Topic: AC Cars LTD plate  (Read 11256 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« on: May 10, 2010, 20:33:39 »
I found this plate on a 1993 AK posted for sale on Hemmings. Is this plate real? I have never seen one with Brooklands,Surrey,England only Thames Ditton on vintage Cobras.

Please view at:
   http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ac/cobra/759109.html#more_photos

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:17:09 »
What does it show on your plate, Fred?
   That is correct for a MkIV.
   Mind you, if you want one that doesn`t say where it was made, there was a bunch on eBay!

SB7019

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:02:25 »
Chassis plate looks genuine to me but the description of the vehicle as "1 of 50 Lightweights " certainly is not. Apart from the Supercharger, with the exception of the straight bottom on the dash everything else (including the chassis number) looks like a "normal" MkIV.

jbottini

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 13:10:13 »
The car has an AK, not an AKL vin, there never was a Kenne Bell S/C, the hood scoop was an option as was the dash...but all in, the car is ;by vehicle identification number; a standard AutoKraft MKIV...to bad the seller doesn't do his homework...perhaps he did and simply took what he liked from his research.

AK1131

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 19:07:24 »
Dear NIKB68,

My car have the right to use the AC logo. The Brookland plate would be nice to have. Is there a source?

Thanks,
   Fred

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 20:55:13 »
It could be a lightweight as the chassis number appears in the middle of a batch that were produced at that time - according to the 2001 register. The register does not indicate that it was fitted with a Supercharger so it could well be an ex-factory addition.

My Superblower records show that the first Mk IV with a factory supercharger was ACG 1444 (1997). This was a Paxton unit. By the time the prefix ACSB was used starting with 7001 the supercharger fitted was Powerdyne.

In general I believe that all the Brooklands produced cars bore this name on their plate as their place of manufacture - certainly the Superblowers did.

Hope some of this helps

Regards

Ian (Superblower Registrar)

quote]Originally posted by AK1131

I found this plate on a 1993 AK posted for sale on Hemmings. Is this plate real? I have never seen one with Brooklands,Surrey,England only Thames Ditton on vintage Cobras.

Please view at:
   http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ac/cobra/759109.html#more_photos
   [/quote]

jbottini

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 21:18:57 »
Ian, it would appear the nose is wrong from the pictures (looks like a MKIV rather than the AKL/MKIII nose), the blower is a roots type (Kenne Bell I believe (didn't know that K. B. was a factory option) and the serial is definately not an AKL. Brian was pretty meticulous about vins on production cars as I recall.Jim

ACOCArch

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 00:43:49 »
I am fairly certain that, from about 1976, the material, material thickness, lettering and information on chassis plates was the subject of a manufacturers drawing which was type-approved before production. Whilst it would be unwise to publish such drawings, if you are in any doubt it may be worth making an enquiry to Steve Gray or John Owen to ask if they can confirm the autenthicity of an individual plate.

SB7019

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 01:12:05 »
There are 2 elements on this car that are similar to a Lightweight,  the straight bottomed dash and the 2 (rather than 3 ) screen wipers.  Things that indicate it is not a Lightweight are:-  pneumatic bumper mounts, long nose, lips on rear wheel arch, rollbar downtubes hidden behind rear bulkhead, 16 (rather than 15) inch wheels, position of fuel filler, layout in boot (trunk), padded dash, door trims and latch, no L in chassis number.  I therefore believe this is certainly not a Lightweight though still think that the chassis plate is genuine.

ANF289

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 05:19:34 »
The following information was obtained from the previous private owner in 2007 when it was first advertised for sale:

AK 1385 is one variation on the “lightweight” theme. As a U.S customer car, it is built to standard Mark IV U.S specifications (DOT and EPA legal) as necessary, and otherwise incorporates the lightweight revisions. Most, if not all, of the standard Mark IVs brought into the U.S prior to 1990 had the long nose design. Although it is hard to determine exact numbers, it is clear that AK 1385 is one of just a handful of street legal short nose “Lightweight” Mark IVs in the U.S. And the better built MkIV is rarer than the Shelbys.

1993 AC AUTOKRAFT COBRA MK IV
   AK 1385
   5450 MILES

LIGHTWEIGHT

FACTORY LIGHTWEIGHT BUILD UPDATES INCLUDE SHORT NOSE; FRONT BRAKE DUCTS; TWO WIPERS (AN ORIGINAL LIGHTWEIGHT FRONT CLIP); 302 GT40 HEADS WITH CATALYST; OIL COOLER; REVISED STRAIGHT ACROSS DASHBOARD DESIGN; ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN (FORD); REVISED SUSPENSION GEOMETRY; HOOD SCOOP; ROLL HOOP; RACING HARNESS DRIVER SIDE MOUNTINGS (NO HARNESS); ALL MORE IN LINE WITH THE MKIII, OTHER THAN SPECIFICATIONS NECESSARY TO MAKE IT A DOCUMENTED U.S. LEGAL CAR

SIXTEEN-INCH HALIBRAND WHEELS

SALISBURY LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL; 3.31:1

BONNET WITH BROAD ALUMINUM MOLDED-IN AIR SCOOP (TO ACCOMMODATE SUPERGHARGER)

THE REVISED DASHBOARD IS MADE TO LOOK LIKE ’60s COBRAS WITH CHROME BEZEL GUAGES, TOGGLE SWITCHES AND PUSH BUTTONS, NO HEATER CONTROLS OR IDIOT LIGHTS; THE HEATER CONTROLS ARE HIDDEN UNDERNEATH THE DASH (AN ORIGINAL LIGHTWEIGHT DASH)

METALLIC PAINT (JAGUAR RACING GREEN POSEIDON); SATINLESS STEEL SIDE VENTS; WINDWINGS; 4 KNOCKOFF SPINNERS; WOODEN GEARNOB; PERSPEX SUNVISORS; TAILORED RUBBER OVERMATS; LOCKING MONZA FUEL CAP; WOODRIM (NARDI) STEERING WHEEL; COBRA BADGING; RACING MIRROR-LEFT SIDE

FACTORY TONNEAU, AND TOP AND SIDE CURTAINS IN CARRYING BAGS; TOOL KIT; HEAD RESTS; OWNERS MANUAL; AC BUILD AND SALE RECORDS

ORDERED NEW TODAY AT THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE OF 80,623.00 POUNDS STERLING, THE CURRENT CONVERSION PRICE FOR THIS CAR WOULD BE $156,980.00;
   IN 1998, AC CARS GROUP LTD’S “SUPERBLOWER” SOLD FOR 72,500 POUNDS STERLING

ADDITIONAL ITEMS

302 EFI FORD ENGINE (ORIGINAL); WINDSOR JR. PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS WITH STAINLESS STEEL VALVES AND ROLLER ROCKERS; CRANE CAM; HIGH FLOW INJECTORS; MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR; KENNE BELL T1000-5 POSITIVE DISPLACEMENT (WHIPPLECHARGER) SUPERCHARGER; TUBULAR EXHAUST MANIFOLD; IGNITION WITH AUTOMATIC TIMED COOL DOWN SHUTOFF; PROFESSIONALLY BUILT; MA EMISSION COMPLIANT; ENGINE IS RATED AT 410 HP AND 420 FT. LB. OF TORQUE

TREMEC TR-3550 FIVE-SPEED (OVERDRIVE) TRANSMISSION

CUSTOM FITTED REMOTE CONTROLLED (IN GLOVEBOX) PIONEER SUPER TUNER IV DEX-M400 RADIO AND STEREO SOUND SYSTEM (TWO SPEAKERS), 6 CD CHANGER IN THE BOOT; POWER ANTENNA

FULL SECURITY ALARM SYSTEM

APPROXIMATELY $15,000 TO $20,000 IN PROFESSIONAL UPGADES AFTER BEING DELIVERED NEW

COVERCRAFT CUSTOM TAN FLANNEL CAR COVER

1998 NEW GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 GS HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRES: F- 225/50 ZR-16; R-255/50-16

SB7019

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:32:55 »
ANF289's post does resolve a question in my mind as to how a "Lightweight" could be legally sold in the US - particularly with regard to the requirement to fit 5mph bumpers, collapsable steering column etc.   Sounds like this was a clever piece of marketing/pricing by Autokraft at the time to sell a slightly revised MkIV.

jbottini

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 14:37:52 »
I stand corrected!?

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 13:31:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1131: Dear NIKB68,
   My car have the right to use the AC logo. The Brookland plate would be nice to have. Is there a source?
   Thanks, Fred

Fred, Definitely contact Steve Gray @ AC HERITAGE, and I would think if you tell them chassis & engine no`s, they would stamp them 'correctly' for you before despatch. I wonder how yours came to be missing? It certainly would be a nice finishing touch to replace it.
   [:D]
   Nik.

AK1131

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 22:07:49 »
Wow, I ask a simple question that turned into an inquisition.

Nik, thank you for your answer. I contact Steve Gray at AC Heritage.

Best regards to all,
   Fred Mix
   AK1131[:)]

AK1131

• View Profile
AC Cars LTD plate
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 22:10:27 »
PS: I have the rivets[8D]