AC Owners Club Forum > Ace, Aceca & Greyhound Forum

SU H2 hydraulic dampers

(1/2) > >>

AEX 31:
Dear all,

I’ve been wondering about the carburettors on AEX 31. They are H2 like they should be, however they haven’t got any dampers. Maybe this is correct but as far as I understand for the SU H-type - the addition of the hydraulic piston damper carburettors were introduced as early as in August 1947.

So I’m curious what kind of carburettors other early Aces or Acecas out there have? That could be expected to be original.

The carburettor bodies on AEX 31 are branded PDC 3229.

Grateful if anybody could shed some light on this.

Regards Jonas

nicksonsticks:
Hi Jonas,  for loads of info on SU carbs you could try burlen fuels www.sucarb.co.uk
They still manufacture most if not all of the original components even down to the small tags with the part number stamped on.
They were really helpful on a previous project so well worth a call.
Kind regards Nick

AEX 31:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the tip. I think I did ask them when I had these carburettors restored at Burlen. However this was roughly 10 years ago so I’m definitely going to ask them now.

Still if anybody with an early Ace could inform me if they have dampers or not on their carburettors I would love to hear about that. Thinking about it, does anybody know if the 2 litre saloon cars had dampers or not?

Thanks.

Jonas

nicksonsticks:
Hi Jonas, could you post a photo of your carburettors?

B.P.Bird:
Jonas,
I am sure your carburetter specification is correct: AE 22 came with original carburetters and they do not have the hydraulic dampers. I wonder if there was a change later with the CL, CLB & CLBN sixes ? For that matter I wonder why SU introduced the hydraulic dampers. I could speculate that it was more about comfort than performance - you can see the dashpots responding to the inlet duct pulsations and this does make a characteristic noise as the dashpot pistons and springs dance merrily up and down. Perhaps the addition of oil damping to air damping was  simply to introduce a bit more civilisation ?
Anyone out there know their S.U. history and can educate us ?
Barrie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version