Author Topic: Clutch cables  (Read 3005 times)

jbottini

• View Profile
Clutch cables
« on: May 08, 2010, 00:25:32 »
are 302 mustang clutch cablesthe replacement item?

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
Clutch cables
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:17:58 »
If you are asking about MkIV clutch cables, Gerry Hawkridge at Hawk Cars here in the UK makes a superb easy fit/no messing replacement. If you are asking about CRS cables, they were based upon Mustang originals and then modified.

jbottini

• View Profile
Clutch cables
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:17:36 »
Thanks Alan, it is for my MKIV so I'll contact Gerry. Heat from exhaust has done it in as clutch will not release correctly Jim

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Clutch cables
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:35:53 »
Hi Jim,
   I think it's a standard Mustang item. The only change or modification is to lengthen it for right hand drive cars as it has to go all the way under the engine to the other side. Unless you drive on the correct side of the road you should be OK with a left hand drive or colonial version [:)]
   Cheers - John.

jbottini

• View Profile
Clutch cables
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 13:57:28 »
Thanks, question two..can the clutch be changed from underneath or is the horror story of removing much of the interior hold true?

ANF289

• View Profile
Clutch cables
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 19:04:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

Hi Jim,
   I think it's a standard Mustang item. The only change or modification is to lengthen it for right hand drive cars as it has to go all the way under the engine to the other side. Unless you drive on the correct side of the road you should be OK with a left hand drive or colonial version [:)]
   Cheers - John.

Posted back in 2007:

Mark IV
   USA
   327 Posts
    Posted - 22 April 2007 :  18:55:17
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clutch cable info and adjustments here:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/projectcars/mmfp_0309_mustang_clutch_cable/

and here:

http://www.key-ideas.com/DG_ClutchAdjuster.htm

and

http://www.key-ideas.com/DG_ClutchAdjuster.htm

Any of the cables for an 82-92 Mustang will work a little tweaking.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Clutch cables
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 13:39:25 »
Hi Jim,
   I'm not clear on your question, yes the cable can be replaced from underneath.
   Regarding the clutch I've spoken to the guys at Thunder Road Speed shop in Woking England (my car is currently at their shop with it's interior out). Apparently it's a big job, they allow 2.5 days for a clutch job. A major factor is if your car has a removable crossmember for the gearbox. If it does then the job is a little easier, but the transmission tunnel and seats still need to come out to get to the propshaft, gearstick etc. If you have not got the removable crossmember (bad news), the interior has to come out and so does the engine and gearbox. Thunder Road have three or four MkIV cars through their workshop each month and really know the model well and are very helpful if you give them a call. Also Alan Faulkner-Stevens knows the model very well and may jump back into this thread.

Alec at Thunder Road is happy to help answer your questions if you want to call him or email. Send me an email john@moonlightmedia.co.uk and I will give you Alec's email and their phone number is +44 (0)1483763399