Author Topic: Ace Boot Lid Catch  (Read 1365 times)

bbrown

• View Profile
Ace Boot Lid Catch
« on: April 23, 2022, 16:05:38 »
I am hoping someone can provide the proper part number for the boot lid catch that is used on an Ace.  This is the part that bolts on the interior of the boot lid and has a hook that engages the pin in the boot floor.  I am not looking for the exterior handle.  The mounting hole spacing is 3".

As an alternate, can anyone tell me what other cars used this boot lid catch?  Moss Motors here in the US goes by car make and model rather than OEM part numbers.

Photo of the boot lid mounting plate is shown below, photo is upside down.

Thanks
Bert Brown
Danville, CA

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Re: Ace Boot Lid Catch
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 18:32:43 »
Moss Motors Part No. 470-455
MG Midget/Austin Healey Sprite trunk latch.

Regards, Luke.

bbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 22:35:34 »
Many thanks for your reply Luke.

I checked the Moss online catalog and noted the size of the latch.
This latch appears to be the same as what I already mistakenly ordered from a different vendor and it does not fit.
This Moss latch is about 4-3/8" wide (give or take) and the bolt holes do not line up to the boot lid mounting plate.

I have taken a photo showing this latch versus the mounting plate on the boot lid.
The holes in the mounting plate are on 3" centers, while the referenced catch has holes on 3-11/16" centers.

Thanks, Bert
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 23:05:27 by bbrown »

MLeitao

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 12:31:14 »
It's called a budget lock.
This one might work https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/798-bridge-budget-lock
3,031496" center to center

Regards Manuel

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 13:00:44 »
Sorry about that, I thought this was the same as the Vintage Car Parts lock, which is definitely the correct pattern.
I have bought both boot & bonnet latches from them in the past & they are a very close match to the original units.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 18:09:44 »
Gentlemen,
This has confused me a little as I thought there was only one size of budget latch, as originally supplied by Wilmot Breeden and have fitted one to an Ace or Cobra on several occasions. However going back to source and looking at the WB brochure I see that there is indeed a choice:

3/16200-1 Hooked Bolt. This has 3.68" mounting centres or
3/10844-4 Bridge Type. This has 3.0" mounting centres

It is this last 'Bridge Type' that is correct for our cars. The problem being that non original suppliers may now be making copies and you need to check which one is being offered. Visually the two are very different, but only when viewed from the side; the 'Hooked Bolt' type is flat whilst the 'Bridge Type' is stepped up and mounts clear of the the sheet metal bracket on little folded legs There is also the complication that there is another part which is identical except it is left hand. We need the right hand one as above.
Barrie

bbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 05:42:17 »
Thanks for all your responses to my question.

I do see that I need the 3/10844-4 "bridge" type budget latch after reviewing the fit of my boot lid.

Can you tell me which other British cars used this style latch?

Unfortunately, Moss Motors does not cross reference Wilmot Breeden numbers, they only go by car make and model. 
I have been unable to find the part in the Moss catalog.
I can order from a UK supplier, but I would like to save shipping costs as these costs are going through the roof now.
Bert