Author Topic: Aceca poor steering lock  (Read 1286 times)

kicksey

• View Profile
Aceca poor steering lock
« on: March 21, 2022, 20:05:19 »
Being a new owner of an Aceca, we are going through the car and I note that the steering full lock is very poor,  it’s like a Land Rover Defender!   Is this poor design or should the full lock be reasonable?

Any input appreciated
Thanks
Chris

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Re: Aceca poor steering lock
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 13:00:43 »
Chris,
Start of your long journey of discovery about the A.C. Car: The Ace and Aceca do have adjustable steering stops on the front uprights and there might be room for a little more lock, but probably not as the tyres will likely contact the inner wheel arch panel. All part of the charm. The turning circle of cars in the fifties was not, generally, as we would expect from a modern vehicle. There were exceptions, of course, like the London Taxi and, later, the Triumph Herald, but not the Ace or Aceca.
Happy Motoring with your Aceca and do keep us informed how you progress
Barrie

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 14:32:17 »
I would sound a further note of caution, that unless you are good at drill and tapping out broken bolts, I would leave these adjusters alone.

First check the clearance of the inside (of corner) wheel where it will be getting close to the inside of the alluminium inner wing. Then only if you hace some space experiment with adjustment.

I have to confess that this is the only piece of hardware I didn't attempt to undo when I rebuilt my front suspension. Partly because I already had evidence of the tyre rubbing but secondly because I didn't want to lose the set position of the bolt and lock nut each side.

kicksey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 10:38:56 »
Thanks James and thanks to Barrie