Author Topic: Bell Housing Support Bracket  (Read 3875 times)

UFR131

• View Profile
Bell Housing Support Bracket
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:52:36 »
During restoration of my car, the mounting bracket that sits across the underside of the bell housing on a 1960 AC engined Ace has been mislaid. Can I purchase one of these from anyone or does anyone have photos or dimensional information for this part to assist in getting a replacement made ?

Many thanks.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 00:52:08 »
Give Steve Gray a call at A C Heritage, Not only does he have the original Thames Ditton Ace & Cobra Bucks but also has Chassis Jigs so can fabricate and supply a cross member for you to install, or probably weld in situ if you transported your ace to Brooklands. [:)]

Steve Gray (works) 01932 828545  or (mob)07860 912217

Keith

UFR131

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:02:46 »
Have already tried Steve. He was extremely helpful and has suggested a couple of other sources but no joy yet unfortunately.

John

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 20:44:40 »
John

Steve was my first and  obvious suggestion,  Have you tried either

Dave Sanderson ( North Yorkshire)  01642 714 220 or 714 202.

3rd Choice:

Nigel Winchester  ( Hertfordshire) 01923 264 999 or 07831 4331100.
   Still no Joy [?]  [:(]

Keith

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 23:14:25 »
I believe there are two cantileverd brackets welded to the main chassis tubes to the inside beneath the housing, do you have these on the chassis? if so the additional part must be between the bell housing & these two brackets,attaching the housing to these two brackets?
   I will see if i can find what it is if you confirm what is attached (welded) to the twin tubes!
   Robin

UFR131

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:58:25 »
Keith, Robin,

Yes have tried both Dave and Nigel without luck.

I have the foundations attached to the chassis tubes. The cotton reel flexible mounts attach to these and the bracket that I am referencing is bolted to these two flexible mounts, with the upperside of the bracket bolted in three places to the bellhousing (two bolts to the underside and a further single bolt each side). Once again many thnaks for your help.

John

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 15:40:42 »
There appears to be two support brackets one arround the bell housing which must have a cradle bracket going underneath the bell housing & one facing forward from a cross tube which has a different welded angle dependant if the gearbox has an overdrive.
   The first one has brackets at an angle to the inside of the main tubes with single hole each side & the rear bracket has two holes on the forward edge either side of the centre.
   I believe the first cradle is similar to the two litre saloon & maybe is the same!
   The rear i have not worket out.
   In either case it would benifit from a photograph of the underside of an AC Engined car.

Robin