Author Topic: AC Ace project  (Read 2049 times)

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AC Ace project
« on: March 04, 2022, 12:47:02 »

Vincent998

• View Profile
Re: AC Ace project
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 16:31:56 »
And I thought my car was in poor shape!  :o

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 11:21:34 »
Hi Peter with your skills you would soon have that shipshape. ;D ;D  Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 11:50:41 »
More photos (127) on the auction site https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-81---1963-ac-ace-26/?lot=55484&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=511&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=2&g=1

There's no mention of this car in Tony Bancroft's Ace Bristol Racing book. The vendor perhaps should have done some research into it's Hill Climbing history before selling because it could make a significant difference. I assume that if the registration hasn't been recorded as scrapped or written off then it would be straight forward to have this renewed?

I loooked through the auction pics, the car is/was incredibly original complete with original interior leather/carpet and it's side window bag etc..

In terms of putting it together, once a new chassis and body have been made by professionals, the task isn't that much more involved than a normal restoration (imho), after all if you're getting parts sand blasted and painted, how rusty they are to begin with doesn't make a huge difference to the task.

Will be interesting to track the sale.

taffe9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 18:55:05 »
A snip, £180k on the hammer!
Will be great to see it back on the road.

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 07:32:17 »
The auction details reference the fact that even a chassis is regarded as a replaceable spare part. As I understand the various legal cases on this subject, continuous history is the vital point, would the fact the the chassis was scrapped a while ago and not replaced "in a reasonable time" cause problems for registration in the future?

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 17:59:29 »
Good evening to one and all.
I have recent experience of this matter having dealt with the DVLA. Continuous history is an ambiguous phrase. It can deal with ownership or the car as it has been during its lifetime. If the registration number has not been laid claim to ( which it hasn't)  then it is highly unlikely there is a chassis knocking around that somebody is going to suddenly rebuild ( especially after this amount of time ) I believe that with all the parts present and the knowledge of those in the club who are able to substantiate the car as being what it is that the DVLA would be satisfied that the car is RS5032 and would register it. Time will tell on this and even though the DVLA have become a lot stricter with the correct information hopefully we will see RS5032 registered back on the road and turning heads.