Author Topic: Another Interesting photo  (Read 8317 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Another Interesting photo
« on: March 21, 2010, 20:14:33 »
Still trying to track down history on AEX125 and ran across this

http://www.box.net/shared/iboyi76hqk/1/2301207/15304973#/shared/iboyi76hqk/1/2301207/15304973/1

If you scroll down to page 4, in the upper right corner there is a picture of an Ace and Aceca that just arrived at World Imports and was their first shipment. What I found interesting was the method used for shipment. I have to admit I had not given it much thought, but always assumed the cars were driven onto the boat in England and then driven off the boat in Los Angeles. The sight of the cars in crates surprised me.

Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 00:20:35 »
Jay

Have a picture of AEX1194 upon arrival in Vancouver in December 1960 remenents of packing case / Debris in the back ground.

Will email you the picture, Feel free to post on Forum if you want, might  just encourage other members / Ace enthusiasts to Post similar photos.

What was Thames Ditton standard practise regards shipment to USA during the mid 1950s early 1960s [?]  Open or Closed wooden crates  or were cars driven on board ?

Good Luck with your research on the History of AEX125.

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:13:25 »
Thanks Keith,
   The pic of 1194 was received. In that pic as well as the one in the link, the windshield is not installed on either Ace. I am curious to know where it was placed. The main reason I was surprised to see them in crates was the stories about the Cobras being damaged in transit by ship workers walking across the cars. Maybe they changed the method of shipment by the time the started shipping Cobras.
   Jay

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 17:04:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125...If you scroll down to page 4, in the upper right corner there is a picture of an Ace and Aceca that just arrived at World Imports and was their first shipment...Jay

If you scroll down to page 8, there is an advert for the World Imports dealership, featuring an Aceca("The FASTEST and SAFEST Two-Liter Production Sports Car in the World"!!!) [8D]

And then on page 12, an advert for Bill Love`s Garage ($5 tune-up offer!), with a picture of him racing his Ace Bristol, and a classified ad for an Aceca Bristol, $5850, never raced!

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 03:56:22 »
Nik, I have gone through about 20 of these magazines so far (there are ~150 of then total) and there are a host of ACs for sale in the ones I have gone. Here is another one that might be of interest, starting on page 10 there is an article I have not seen before on AC Bristols

http://www.box.net/public/khciz7244d#/shared/khciz7244d/1/2300029/15297822/1

Back to my original question on the shipping crates, Keith sent me a pic of AEX 1194 and a Cobra owner contacted me to tell me he knew of a Cobra that was also shipped in an enclosed crate, so I guess the answer to the trivial question nobody really cares about is, they were shipped in crates.

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 16:49:59 »
I'd like to see those pics.  Is there someplace I might find them at less than 10mb?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 19:10:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

Thanks Keith,
   The pic of 1194 was received. In that pic as well as the one in the link, the windshield is not installed on either Ace. I am curious to know where it was placed. The main reason I was surprised to see them in crates was the stories about the Cobras being damaged in transit by ship workers walking across the cars. Maybe they changed the method of shipment by the time the started shipping Cobras.
   Jay

Jay

Spoke to a few members at the ACOC Dinner Dance on Saturday evening, general concensus was that Aces & Acecas were shipped in semi open packing crates, with Windscreens either secured under the Ace or to the inside of the timber framed packing case.

However the Vancouver picture of BEX1194 looks solid , well whats left of the strewn mess would appear to have been  substantial, Maybe to allow cases to be stacked in the Hold or on Deck of the Ship. [:(]

Surely someone has some interesting Dock side photos of ACs leaving Port or arriving at there  destination [?]

Keith   [:)]

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:03:29 »
Jim, Here is the pic from Keith,

I'll e-mail you the image from the magazine as I cannot figure out how to save and post here.
   Jay

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 18:31:26 »
I painted my '57 Ace almost exactly that color in 1961, but I've never seen it on any other AC that I remember.  It was a Buick color called Titian Red Metallic.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 22:35:37 »
I remember painting my mini a similar metallic colour which was a Jaguar / Daimler spec called Marello. That must have been 10 years later.

tinnes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 03:19:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jim A

I painted my '57 Ace almost exactly that color in 1961, but I've never seen it on any other AC that I remember.  It was a Buick color called Titian Red Metallic.

Its a little hard to tell from the photo, but this looks like Iris Rouge which is the original color of my '58 Ace - it does appear slightly metallic.

tom

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 16:43:26 »
I sent Keith several photos of BEX 241.  If he doesn't think it is too OT, maybe he can post one for color comparison.

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 22:40:03 »
Here are a few pictures Jim is referring to.
   To complete, the last picture shows BEX 241 in its next livery, after a respray to BRG in 1967.
   Thanks again for the most interesting period pictures. They offer a certain charm absent in recent pictures.

Jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 07:07:18 »
The picture of AEX 1194 on the dock at Vancouver Ballantyne Pier is my car arriving here Dec 16/60. I have other pictures of the shipping crate before dismantling and it is a fully enclosed box complete with lifting hooks. The car was wrapped in poly. I would be delighted to forward pictures but do not know how to download them onto the forum. If anyone is interested, Email me at jp7025@shaw.ca or call me in Vancouver, tel. no 604 263 7025, (note time diff. is GMT - 8hrs) and I will forward same by Email.

FYI, the paint colour of AEX 1194 was and remains Rouge Iris.

Jonathan Parker

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 20:31:49 »
I already contacted Jonathan through email about the photos he mentioned.

Jerry