Author Topic: CRS rebuild after a Castle Coombe incident  (Read 16035 times)

TLegate

• View Profile
CRS rebuild after a Castle Coombe incident
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 15:37:48 »
Us poor folk will celebrate with a nice cup of tea! Cheers!

Glad to see you decided on a nice shade of 'Cobra' blue Bruce. Have fun (and do the quick-lifts stay in place for the MOT? Just wondering.)

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 13:45:05 »
Wow Bruce! You have made a specacular job of your CRS and by doing it the hard way have learned a lot in the process. More power to your elbow. Of course now you have done it once, it would be a shame to stop there, so keep a lookout for a restoration project in case you get bored next winter! See you very soon, Andy.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 20:40:09 »
Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments, much appreciated!

Trevor, I'll let you know how the MOT goes, but I am hoping that they're not noticed... [:D]

quote:
...so keep a lookout for a restoration project in case you get bored next winter! See you very soon, Andy.

Andy, I've definitely caught the 'rebuild bug' and am very keen to do a restoration project, either another MKIV, or possibly an ace/aceca?  If anyone sees a suitable project car, please let me know [;)]

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 22:50:42 »
Hi Bruce,

What a great job you've done! Congrats! She really looks nice. And I bet your face is shining with smiles again, as opposed to what we had witnessed at the end of the Castle Combe track day on 11 September last.

You mentioned track insurance earlyer on. Unfortunately over here insurances do not cover such risk. Now you understand why I am not driving as hard on the track as you did [:)]

One question: you did not mention wheels. I assume you had them checked for cracks as both front and rear left had hit the wall?

Constant

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 20:01:23 »
Great work, Bruce - hope we now get some fair weather ao you can enjoy the results!

If you can make time, do write it all up for ACtion.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 20:48:39 »
Update: We're on the home straight!

I spent a very enjoyable day today with the gents at Thunder Road, getting the suspension set up and final touches made in preparation for Friday's MOT test.  With luck, I'll be driving home late Friday afternoon in my car... our first time back on the road since 11th Sept 2009 :o)

Heading south...

Outside a familiar driveway...

Men at work. Proposed quote: "How the @*@xx@! did he manage to re-assemble the car with wheels pointing in so many different directions at the same time???"

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 21:43:14 »
Today is a GREAT day!  Road legal and rolling!!

7 1/2 months after my incident, we're back on the road!  My new best friends at Thunder Road Speed Shop helped me cross the final few yards to the finishing line, fine tuning the suspension and ensuring it passed it's MOT first time. Having spend a day and a half with them in their workshop, I think a change in career is required ;o)

The cherry on today's cake was standing next to their next customer car being warmed up as I was preparing to leave ... a 7-litre 650bph monster engine sitting inside a Chev Chevalier... the first and only time I've actually felt scared standing next to a car!

But back to the main event.  Today is a day I've been looking forward to for a long time.  After final preparations, Alec and I headed off to the MOT station, arriving back 1,5 hrs later with broad smiles on our faces.  Below are a few photos taken during today, plus some reference pics from March 2009. Many thanks to both Alec and Al for their time and humour.

This beings to an end my rebuild story.  I can guarantee you that my wife's plans for some gardening tomorrow are unlikely to be achieved.  I'd put £50k on black that most of tomorrow will be spent washing, polishing and 'road testing' my beauty!

Adios
   Bruce

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 13:48:01 »
Bruce, well done and welcome back[8D Great work and determination. Sorry I won't be at the Sunday meeting to see the results of all your hard work.On Sunday will be giving hot laps at the Top Gear track
   http://www.petrolheadnirvana.com/torque/showthread.php?t=927

Cheers - John.

PS: Love the photos of Big Al and Alec, got any more ?

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 21:37:01 »
Thanks John,

Enjoy the Top Gear track - I assume you're not taking the rev limiter [;)].

I do happen to have a few more photos of the Thunder Road boys, but I'm not sure that they would be forum legal... a rather saucy one of Big Al spread across the bonnet wearing just his overalls might result in the administrator stepping in!!!

Cheers
   Bruce

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 12:16:32 »
Yes, you assume correctly, the rev-limiter said she has better things to do than watch me drive round a cold and windy airfield on a Sunday morning.
   [8D]

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 14:25:34 »
Great stuff Bruce, well done.
   I like the pictures comparing old and new colour scheme.
   Cheers
   Constant