Author Topic: AC Iconic Cobra  (Read 11039 times)

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« on: March 14, 2010, 17:54:12 »
There is much talk about the MkIV on the forum, with the latest show version being heavily improved bodily and build quality wise from the first one the press tried. Sorry, it does not have any blood-line to a proper English built car, but there you go..
   Anyway, check out www.iconicmotors.com
   This latest version carrying the AC badge is interesting, to say the least

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 17:55:31 »
Sorry should have put MkVI, not MkIV my apologies

Mark IV

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 18:50:49 »
Not to belabor the point, but this is one more "license fee" product that is NOT an "AC" in any real way.

I suggest that a new production run of Trabants could be "AC"s for the right sum.............

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 20:30:06 »
I am sure you are right about the quality of engineering on the car, given the available pictures. But as to the styling, well the original Cobra is what it is because of the way it looks and the development of its chassis and drivetrain, in fact its blood-line. It has history and people love it for that. Is it not the main point and why Club members are getting so upset about these latest AC's, is the fact that fundamentally if you have enough money you can buy the right to put the famous badge on any vehicle, which has only to have a passing resemblence to the original. While it is the brands owners perfect right to do what so ever he wishes with his brand, at some point along this road the marque looses its tradition/heritage and the brand stops being admired for its history/blood-line.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 23:56:36 »
Dejá Vu? Ironic AC
   [:D]

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:24:46 »
The computerized gas cap is so cool [:p]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 17:08:56 »
I know this thing was met with a lot of skepticism on this forum, but frankly, the design may not be to your liking, one has to admit it looks extremely well engineered.

And with that in mind, it's not a bad successor to the lineage. Although the body design maybe somewhat "caricaturish", it is a modern rendition of the classic shape.

Many did not like the FORD Cobra either, when they came out a few years ago with the prototype. Too bad. I would have loved to see that one go into production.

I, for one, hope that this allegiance with Iconic Motors will work out.

I also hope to see one for real this weekend at Monterey/Pebble Beach!

Gus

1984MkIV

• View Profile

TLegate

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 23:05:06 »
Still not buying it......

cobham cobra

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 12:19:15 »
Nice idea and it looks like good engineering, but I keep thinking that it is somehow less than the sum of its parts.
   It’s a good answer to a question nobody was asking, or is that just me ?
   John.

So who is going to be the first here to add flashing lights to their roll bar ?

aaron

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 19:18:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

Nice idea and it looks like good engineering, but I keep thinking that it is somehow less than the sum of its parts.
   John.

So who is going to be the first here to add flashing lights to their roll bar ?

Christmas is coming,so you all should add flashing lights to your roll bars [;)]

1984MkIV

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 19:55:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

I always asked myself, if I was satisfied with my old fashioned filler cap ... I think you should be a little more worried about your car!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 02:59:12 »
You all must be getting old....
   Which begs the real question: Who is going to buy your (our) Aces and Acecas a few years down? Every young man appreciates a Cobra, but what about the age of the average buyer that has been driving the prices of our cars up? Are they a species about to be extinct?
   I still believe this is a cool car. In a modern way the same brawn as the 427 of the 60-ies. I bet if you ask 100 young men in their 20-30's, the vast majority would think it's cool. Top-Gear would refer to them as "footballers" I'm sure, but hey: they have the money to buy...

Ya'll are getting old folks!

Gus

TLegate

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 12:47:55 »
If old age is having a liking for cars with simple elegant lines, no computers or other wonderful driver 'aids' and you can drive the little *** by the seat of your pants, then I hereby embrace old age (he cried as he dropped off his perch....)

Each to his own - ahh, the trials and tribulations of having Good Taste...but if the market for old Aces etc is on the verge of terminal decline, why are prices going through the roof?

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Iconic Cobra
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 13:49:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes... Who is going to buy your (our) Aces and Acecas a few years down? Every young man appreciates a Cobra, but what about the age of the average buyer that has been driving the prices of our cars up? Are they a species about to be extinct?...Gus

At $475,000 (£300,000) You can still get an original Cobra(just!) or an Ace AND an Aceca! Whilst it`s possible that the bottom could fall out of the Classic car market (again)and the value of your Ace/Aceca/Cobra might drop, the resale of one of these can only go down, until it becomes a classic(?!) & starts to go back up again!
   I hope the wireless electronics aren`t windows-based.
   Imagine these coming up on your dashboard:

"Are you sure you want to carry out an emergency stop?"
   "You require administrator privileges to exceed 40mph"
   "YOU HAVE BEEN HAXXORED, WE NOW HAVE CONTROL!!! LOLZ"
         Blue screen of death at 100mph? No ta!