Author Topic: AC at Geneva Motor Show  (Read 7823 times)

dart427

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 16:42:28 »
Mark IV
   You are ABSOLUTELY right !!!!!!!

Chafford

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 19:38:28 »
Looks much better without the side exhausts:

http://www.salon-auto.ch/en/en-images/ac-cars-mk-vi-0-20422

Chafford

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 19:42:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV

I have said it before and will say it again, AC does NOT exist in any real way today. Yes, someone owns the name and trademarks, but calling it a bun does not make it a bun!!!

I'm sure Mr Gray at AC Heritage would disagree!

http://www.acheritage.co.uk/newbuildcobra427.html  

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 20:50:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford: Looks much better without the side exhausts:

There are a few detail changes on this MkVI.5 which are certainly an improvement on the first one, and although I didn`t get to drive it, I have seen the first one put through it`s paces. Not only does it shift like a scorched squirrel, but the build quality appears significantly better than that of the MkV.
   (German engineering vs. Maltese...erm...work?[:I])
   AC, not an AC...yeah, my opinion on this is well enough-known to not go through again, but what will the buying public make of it... time will tell. [|)]

quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV
   I have said it before and will say it again, AC does NOT exist in any real way today. Yes, someone owns the name and trademarks, but calling it a bun does not make it a bun!!!

I'm sure Mr Gray at AC Heritage would disagree!

AC Heritage & The Brooklands Motor Company are, I believe, still a separate entity; however,(and again, this is purely my opinion)their 'bloodline' is significantly stronger than that of the company producing the AC MkVI, and their vehicles are absolutely to-die-for.
   If we were talking 'You can buy a *"Cobra" money-no-object, but you can`t have an original' I would take the Brooklands 289FiA. No question. [8D]

* By Cobra, I mean MkIV, Superblower, CRS, MkV, MkVI, Shelby 'continuation', Kirkham and Superformance(Shelby).

terry3000me

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 17:42:33 »
quote:
If we were talking 'You can buy a *"Cobra" money-no-object, but you can`t have an original' I would take the Brooklands 289FiA. No question,
   * By Cobra, I mean MkIV, Superblower, CRS, MkV, MkVI, Shelby 'continuation', Kirkham and Superformance(Shelby).

Please Nik explain the why and wherefores of your decision?

Terry

Chafford

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 20:03:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Ths shape of the revised version is much more AC than last year's kit shaped prototype, so a fair bit of work has obviously been put into the latest version.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 20:46:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by terry3000me...Please Nik explain the why and wherefores of your decision? Terry

LOL, Decision? You make it sound like I`m about to place an order!!! I wish!!!![:D]

Having seen good examples of all the 'Cobras' I listed except for the Shelby CSX4000 or 7000 series, there is an amount of logic, and an element of emotion involved.
   The MkIV I like, particularly the Lightweights, but they took a step towards being civilised that I knock off a point or 2 for.
   Superblower. Sorry, don`t like the interior as much as older models. CRS, ditto, although the manners are less MkIV, more old skool!
   Kirkham, lovely. Have it your way, billet suspension, original-style coil or leafspring (at a premium)but you still buy a new one as a roller to complete.
   Superformance. Body shape isn`t quite to my tastes, but the fit & finish is still very good.

So that just leaves the AC Heritage new builds.
   There is just something about them that feels so right, the fact that they are built by some ex-AC guys, on AC bucks might have a lot to do with that, but ultimately, it is a personal opinion, a feeling, like why fall in love with one woman and not her (lovely) sister... [:I]
   ERm, anyway. Nothing wrong at all with the Cobras I mentioned, and I`d be happy to have any one of them, just happier to have the Brooklands Bashers` Baby!!!

TLegate

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 20:51:58 »
The shape has been un-Dax'd, though why it was ever necessary.... wonder where the body bucks came from? ;-)

I also cast my vote for Niks opinion having driven many of the above (notably NOT the '5' thank you) but for the final vote I'd take price into consideration twixt the Kirkham & the car in the photo. Not a ciggy-paper between them regarding the 'thrills' per mile IMHO. Each has its foilbles but who needs comfort?

Classicus

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 22:18:42 »
quote:
....it is a personal opinion, a feeling, like why fall in love with one woman and not her (lovely) sister....

Lol !

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 23:28:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Nik, why do you mention the Superformance (Mk III Cobra, I understand) in one go with the others?

For me the MkIV, Superblower, CRS, 212 (not mentioned by you) and MkV, and Heritage Continuation Cobras have one thing in common: they are built on a chassis almost identical to the one of the late MkIII.
   Continuation Shelbys use the same and even Kirkham has made a (true) copy thereof.

The chassis of the Superformance MkIII has nothing to do with this, neither does their suspension. (See links below) Same is true for the MkVI. These are typical Kit-cars, though even factory built and high quality. Unfortunately putting an AC badge on one of them, does not make it an AC (I only speak for myself).

I wish it would have been different!

http://www.superformance.com/mkiii/mkIII_specs/chassis_front.jpg
   http://www.superformance.com/mkiii/mkIII_specs/suspension_front.jpg
   http://www.superformance.com/mkiii/mkIII_specs/suspension_rear.jpg

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC at Geneva Motor Show
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 14:03:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux
   Nik, why do you mention the Superformance (Mk III Cobra, I understand) in one go with the others?

Hi Constant. The reason I mentioned Superformance is simply due to the Shelby tie-in, and we are very much on the same wavelength about how this & the MkVI do not form part of the Cobra 'evolution', but AC & Shelby have seen fit to put their names (and CSX numbers, in the case of the SPF Coupés!) to them, thus making them 'part of the family'!
   The 212 SC was an ommision, sorry, but I prefer the sound of the Ford V8`s (& even Chevy, in the case of the MkVI)to the Lotus, even though it may be stunningly fast and still a part of the 'true' line. [;)]