Author Topic: Axle and Disc conversion on 1949 2 litre saloon  (Read 588 times)

GSouthee

• A classic car is not an investment it is to drive.
    • View Profile
Axle and Disc conversion on 1949 2 litre saloon
« on: December 10, 2021, 19:22:45 »
So my pile of bits are nearly complete.

so far my pile consists of:

Mk2 Jaguar rear axle with 3.7 diff. The beauty of this axle is I can go LSD at a later date if needed.

XJ6 rear calipers.

Greenstuff pads.

Later spec 2 litre rear springs. These are to be modified once I decide on ride height.

Landrover discovery vented front discs 298mm.

Landrover matching Calipers.

Green stuff pads.

Later spec front springs.  Again will be modified once I have decided on ride height.

I was going to modify rear axle to 4 link but that would reduce the points count for the DVLA to retain VHI. I am going to be down to 9 as it is.

Once I start shortly I will post pics as I go.

Cheers Guys.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 20:45:11 by GSouthee »
Nothing is impossible, but sometimes it takes a different approach. Anyone got a big hammer? Now' get out there and drive it.

GSouthee

• View Profile
Re: Axle and Disc conversion on 1949 2 litre saloon
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 15:48:08 »
Removed my old back axle yesterday, bloody heavy old thing. Now in my scrap man/Ebay pile

Whilst I was there I thought I would remove the fuel tank so as to have better access. Now for those wanting to ever remove the tank do note that there are 6 clamps on it, not just the 4 you can see from the boot area (once the rear panel removed) 2 at the top and 2 down under the tank at the back. having drained and undone the filler neck and fuel pipe, I proceeded to pull, tug and swear at it, it was not going to move. I found the straps had go suck to the tank by some bitumen type tape,. so warmed this and got straps off, still not going anywhere, more swearing and head scratching. Next I removed a wooden filet that was held in by the top clamps and shone my torch through the the small gap. Lo and behold I could see what looked like 2 more clamps hidden  over the back and not accessible from the boot. Into the car I go, remove the rear seats and there they are, undo them and still no joy. Checked all round no more clamps, so a bit of shoving and gentle thumping, both feet on it whilst laying in the car, a more than a gentle stomp and it moved, more ruddy bitumen type tape on the small lip shelf it rests on. Back round to the boot a little jiggling and out it comes. Now in my scrap man/Ebay pile. I will be fitting a new alloy one with internal baffles later. I would have shown you the fixing points if I had remembered my camera, but at least you now know, 6 clamps and a bit of thumping does the trick.

Point to me must remember camera.

Cheers  Gary
Nothing is impossible, but sometimes it takes a different approach. Anyone got a big hammer? Now' get out there and drive it.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 16:47:27 »
Ah had camera today so here are some pics before and after removal of all bits not required. Note the Air shocks I had on the Ol' Girl, these may go back on but I am also thinking a bit more radical.

I have removed all the bracketry/frames and axle hoop from the chassis as will not be needed. I am going to make some 1.75 cds tube hoops that will integrate the bump stops and air shocks or (possibly air bags and compressor. still thinking that bit out)

As you will see I need to have a good washdown next, before I start next stage. ( The car not me)

Just a point on spring removal. I read on Ian Strange's AC 2 LITRE web pages that he had to clamp the springs with girders, to release them from shackles, I noted that he seemed to have still had the axle attached when doing this, thereby not allowing the spring to drop a further couple of inches and causing the spring to jump when removing from shackles. I just simply undone the spring to axle U bolts, letting the axle sit on the chassis and the springs popped down at least 2 inches or so(see pic spring is well below chassis). Then simply unbolted the shackles and removed bolt with no fuss as the spring was relaxed.

Anyway that's all for now, until my next visit down to my garage.

2 Litre Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 21:28:17 »
Hi Gary. Thanks for that info'. I think you have a different version of the springs to me. Mine has a very thick, straight, bottom leaf that is very close to the underpan. I'll update my site to include both versions.

Ian

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 17:38:26 »
Cheers  Ian. I have tested the later rear springs with the thick straight leaf and it just dropped into place with about a inch of an upward swing just a little push down and it popped in, I still think it is due to the fact you had the axle attached.

Anyway here is next part of the plot. Been prepping the rear axle, removing all the unwanted bracketry  from the Jag axle. Made up 2 new spring shackles and welded them on. Why couldn't AC just have decided on a nice simple measurement between spring for the saddles instead 37 7/8'' outer edge to outer edge. Still all sorted on that front. The jag axle is approx 10kg lighter than the AC one. That old crutch came in handy.

Here's a pic or 2 of the axle being prepped.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 17:43:20 by GSouthee »

2 Litre Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 21:47:09 »
The attached photo shows the clearance of my spring to underpan - approx. 2mm.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 13:31:39 »
Hi Guys

Been down garage again today.

Decided to clean the later rear springs off, 3 hours of fun  ???

Awful mucky stuff that grease tape. Especially when 70 plus years old.

Anyway all cleaned up and ready to be stripped down on my bench for cleaning between leaves and modification.

I also quickly stripped off tape from my existing early springs to compare them.

I note the overall curve/free camber is approx 3/4 more on the later ones.

Hears a couple of pics before and after and comparison with early spring.

Have a good new year.

G

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 16:00:11 »
Ah Garage time again.

Popped the later spring on to see how it compares with the earlier type.

I note that it sits approx 1/2 inch lower at the top of the spring than the earlier one, there is 3 inches from the spring top to the chassis rail top on the early one and 3 and 5/8ths on the later one, this suggest that the rear will sit higher.

Here is a couple of pics, though not sure it is very clear.

Also had a stroke of luck the prop-shaft fitting is exactly the same on the AC axle as on the Jaguar axle.  ;D Saves a bit of time and expense.

Now I need to decide what to do with the springs.

Cheers

G

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 15:54:30 »
Ok, so Rear leaves now modified/altered.

I have removed the very thick bottom leaf, then 2 of the intermediate leaves below the main leaf and one from below the straight damper leaf. I have drilled the bolt on type spring clamps to suit the new spring thickness, these will need the excess trimming once my new angle grinder arrives. (Do not drop grinder down the pit into a bowl of drained axle oil :-[).

As I removed one at at time and reassembled them I used a 112lb weight to measure the deflection of the spring. I have decided on the final configuration after getting what I believe will be the best spring rate for my rear end mods.

I am now deciding on whether to go for the Monroe Max Air shocks with on board compressor or air bags. Either will suit my intended application to allow me to drop and or raise the rear end to suit my needs, mood.

Yes, I know purist will think I have gone potty, probably right. However, its probably lucky I have not got my hands on an Ace or Cobra eh!. ;D

I am also considering modifying the front springs in due course and use bags or air shocks to allow me to drop the ride.

My tubular in 1.5inch CDS shock absorber hoop and frame has been delivered to me, I will need to set it up to suit either shocks or bags. I will post pics once I have unwrapped it. It was made my Tube Bender UK who make all sorts of roll cages etc etc. at a reasonable price.

Here's some pic's of the springs as modded.

Cheers All.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 18:00:46 »
Hi Ya

Leaves now back in car for mock up to establish where I need to mount the shocks. Note that the springs lay flat when taking the weight of the car and a 112 lb weight. This obviously the maximum deflection and would have the bottom of the axle approx 3.5 inches up from the chassis, this will not be the ride height as the air shocks or bags will take up the spring rate once inflated. If need be I can add a leaf back in if I feel it is required. However, when full spring was fitted there was only 3/4 of an inch difference when supported the same way with the same weight on board.

Next is to set the shock hoop frame up and test fit. May need some gaffer tape to hold it in place whilst I measure and mark up.

Here is a pic of leaf spring back in car and of the loose tubes for the hoop frame.

Cheers  Gary

terry3000me

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 23:53:40 »
Gary, now why dont you condense this and write an article for ACtion? Would be most welcome.
Cheers,
Terry

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:59:09 »
Hi Terry

Cheers

I much prefer the 'as I go along approach' posting my progress (or not sometimes) on the Forum in titbits.

When I have finished my meddling, modifications or madness I may well try and precis it, and send it you for your inclusion or not.

Now on a different note I am stuck deciding on just a compressor to fill the Air Shock or an ASK (Air source kit) this has a compressor and air tank as a system. Both have good reviews in the Hot-rod world.

I have now sprayed the axle in etch primer and 2 pack black satin. Going to test install tomorrow so as can work out the positioning of the frame for the shock mounts. Glad it's lighter than the original.

Cheers for now.

G