Author Topic: ac cobra prices????  (Read 32878 times)

ak1234

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2007, 02:33:39 »
Obviously not offten enough .. LOL

linklaw

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2007, 02:38:33 »
The oppressive smog laws are not nationwide. For example, a 20 year old car in Pennsylvania can be registered as a "Classic" which requires an annual safety inspection, but no emissions inspection, not even a visual (to see if factory installed emissions devices such as catalytic converters are present). My 1985 Autokraft is registered as a classic. I have no cats, an all aluminum (block, heads, manifold, sump) Roush 351 and certainly have plenty of power. In Pennsylvania, only "real" cars can be registered as classics, to the exclusion of all kit cars, including the Kirkham and component Shelby Cobras. On January 1, 2007, the regulations for kit car registration changed dramatically here and it will be much more difficult to have a kit registered. We'll see if it has any impact on the price of the kit cars.  I also understand that it can be difficult to obtain one of the SB100 exemptions in California, as many people are vying for the few that are available each year. I have been told that the SB100 certificate can add 25 to 30% to the price of a kit car. I can't vouch for this figure because I haven't tried to buy a kit car in california, with or without SB100 cert. But, if the percentage is accurate, then the $100,000 Kirkham would only be worth $70 to $75 thousand without SB100. A completed Kirkham sold for around $55,000 on ebay within the last 4 or 5 months. I for one could never understand why someone would spend $120,000 on a kit car when they can have a real car for alot less.  I feel that in the long run the Autokraft cars will hold their value better than a kit car. I guess we'll see in a few years. Just my two cents worth.

nikbj68

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2007, 13:16:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Out here in Southern California, a professionally built Kirkham, by the likes of Mike McCluskey will sell upward of a 100K! Around 120K. ...Emmanuel

I`m pretty certain that McCluskey don`t build Kirkhams.
   They build McCluskeys from scratch, or restore original Cobras(including 3 of the original Daytonas!)
   or build Daytonas onto original roadster chassis`,
   (or allegedly 'lost' 60`s Thames Ditton Chassis` into complete cars...but that was a long time ago, and C.S said they weren`t lost'n'found, later, didn`t he?!)

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2007, 14:44:24 »
Maybe the whole root cause of this thread is that Emmanuel lives in California !!  Although my MKIV came from Cali., the original owner still modified it with a Roush 302 (I have the original motor crated with only 500 miles on it), I'm putting out well over 325 hp and now in CT, the car is registered and through emissions, so just because you did not have the resources or ambition to juice up your MKIV, it is not the car's fault, but that of government regulation, but every problem has a solution.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2007, 16:39:58 »

quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68
   I`m pretty certain that McCluskey don`t build Kirkhams.
   They build McCluskeys from scratch, or restore original Cobras(including 3 of the original Daytonas!)
   or build Daytonas onto original roadster chassis`,
   (or allegedly 'lost' 60`s Thames Ditton Chassis` into complete cars...but that was a long time ago, and C.S said they weren`t lost'n'found, later, didn`t he?!)

For the Daytonas you are right! However, they do for 427s' and 289s' ! It does not make any sense to build one from scratch anymore, and who do you think painted my car? [:D]

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2007, 16:49:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

Maybe the whole root cause of this thread is that Emmanuel lives in California !!  Although my MKIV came from Cali., the original owner still modified it with a Roush 302 (I have the original motor crated with only 500 miles on it), I'm putting out well over 325 hp and now in CT, the car is registered and through emissions, so just because you did not have the resources or ambition to juice up your MKIV, it is not the car's fault, but that of government regulation, but every problem has a solution.

You are right, In California we need to change the law. However, what one could do right now is put a modern engine from let's say a Mustang Shelby! But all the smog gear and the transmission has to come with it! Also the paperwork involved is huge!

Emmanuel

cobham cobra

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2007, 16:53:39 »
Are we nearly there yet ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2007, 16:57:56 »
quote:

...For the Daytonas you are right! However, they do for 427s' and 289s' ! It does not make any sense to build one from scratch anymore, and who do you think painted my car? [:D]
   Emmanuel

Thanks, Emmanuel, I stand corrected. [:)]
   So is your car McCluskey Blue? WOW, what a colour that is!

John...yes. I think so.[:D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2007, 17:02:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:

...For the Daytonas you are right! However, they do for 427s' and 289s' ! It does not make any sense to build one from scratch anymore, and who do you think painted my car? [:D]
   Emmanuel

Thanks, Emmanuel, I stand corrected. [:)]
   So is your car McCluskey Blue? WOW, what a colour that is!

John...yes. I think so.[:D]

Sorry, it's black with old English white stripes!

Emmanuel

AK1131

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2007, 17:50:59 »
Interesting the different point of views as to what is a real "Cobra". If you go to Google and type in Shelby Autokraft, the first thing that pops up is "Shelby American World Registry-AutoKraft MK IV Cobra". SAAC said Cobra and Autokraft in the same sentence, they said Cobra, they said Cobra! There for it must be!!!

Now for those across the pond and in the states talking about your beer, you might want to try the other Cobra, that is Cobra malt liquor. It the one with the snake on the label not the bull. OhOh hope I don't start a beer war!

jbottini

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2007, 18:49:38 »
I'm dying to know who paited the car for the reputed 30K...the suspense!!!!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2007, 18:58:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

I just said it! above!

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2007, 19:06:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1131

...you might want to try the other Cobra, that is Cobra malt liquor. It the one with the snake on the label not the bull. OhOh hope I don't start a beer war!

Photo courtesy of SniffPetrol

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2007, 19:29:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

To be fair, it was more than paint, the car had to be stripped completely, small dings were removed from various spots on the aluminum, The correct material was used on the dash and the panels behind the seats, doors, Etc.. It took months, the car has to sit in primer for a while so as to prevent it from cracking later on, etc. The process is the same as doing an original car. The side pipes were refinished. The result is AWSOME! well worth it to me!

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2007, 19:46:08 »
quote:
   ...To be fair, it was more than paint...The result is AWSOME! well worth it to me!
   Emmanuel

And that`s what matters.[8D]