Author Topic: ac cobra prices????  (Read 32460 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 03:15:14 »
I use to have AK02 with a 351 Windsor, I did not like the car, it had no power and was heavy. I think I paid $39K for it about 3 years ago. I wanted to convert it to a real Cobra MKIII but the car is too different, the body would have had to come off, the dash, the rear suspension and the list goes on, so I sold it and bought a Kirkham with a proper 427 side-oiler motor! I defy anybody to tell the difference with the original Cobra MKIII.  I think the problem with the AKs' and to some extend with the new kirkhams is that they try to improve the car and as a result ruin it. A proper Cobra is a basic car, no radio, no heat, light weight, powerfull and very fast! The MKIV has none of these attributes!

gblue

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 03:48:44 »
Aloha..I personally like the fact that I can step on the gas and not get into too much trouble like in an overpowered car......I've had stupid fast cars and it's nice to just be able to enjoy the ride.....there's no end to how fast a car you can own......no reason to attack the car that others love just because you have a need for speed.....does that mean a real 289 Shelby Cobra is also not a good car in your eyes?
   Different strokes for different folks.....live and let live.....

gregg

nikbj68

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 06:45:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

... I think the problem with the AKs' and to some extend with the new kirkhams is that they try to improve the car and as a result ruin it. ...The MKIV has none of these attributes!

What you have to bear in mind is that the MkIV was built for the times. Not only having to meet more stringent design & build regulations, but compete with 'modern' supercars in the marketplace, where the potential customer was more refined in his requirements.
   It was never intended to 'replicate' the original Cobra, but to continue the species.

The Kirkhams are driven by market forces also. If the customer didn`t want the improvements that they make, their stock-in-trade would be 'stock' original, nut-&-bolt identical vehicles as their first models were, rather than the billet CNC equipped(etc, etc)cars that fly out of their doors now.
   Of course, if you want a leafsprung 289, you can have one, but at a premium.

Hybrid FiA with Le Mans hardtop for me, please!!![:D]

keithjecks

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 13:25:34 »
This is quite right. When I bought AK1515 I remember Brian Angliss describing the intention with the MkIV Lightweights as being to make a car that drives the way that people recall MkIII's driving. He said then that when people actually drive a MkIII, they get a rude shock! That was in 1994

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 19:23:13 »
The leafsprung 289 is one sweet car to drive, light, agile and fast! I had one, and to this day I regret selling it!

Emmanuel

TLegate

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 20:36:41 »
Emmanueld

Funny you should say you once owned AK02 as it's currently for sale in europe: www.florentmoulin.com
   It is described as a 427S/C (why?) and has 8000 miles on the clock.

As it happens, Hawk Cars can now convert any MkIV to full MkIII spec if required. Maybe best to do the job after you've pulled your pride and joy out of a ditch and get the insurance company to pay the bill? Probably no more expensive than rebuilding it as a MkIV

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 00:39:33 »
I checked the website, it's no longer there! The problem here in California is the smog test, the car was registered as a 1984 and it had anti pollution equipment, a 2 bbl carburator and 2 catalytic converters, I don't think it made more than 140 HP. I tried to re-register it as a 1965 Cobra under our kit-car rule but they refused on the ground that AC is not a kit-car maker! Also the body is completely different, the doors are longer, inside the engine bay it's all fiberglass, the gear box on mine was a T5, it could never be used on any other engine, the rear suspension attachment are different. I saw one of these being rebuilt as a mark III over here in Torrance, it had been totaled and only the registration was used and the rest was from Kirkham! Anyway, Regards

cobham cobra

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 12:38:22 »
Emmanueld - So a proper Cobra is a basic car, no radio, no heat, light weight, powerful and very fast! I was unaware until reading your comment that my MkIV had none of these attributes. An interesting opinion to post on the MkIV forum. Out of curiosity, perhaps you could tell me, is the Kirkham Owners website an exact copy of the ACOC website or is it just the cars that they copy so well ?

Mark IV

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 13:49:59 »
Uh Oh......

Rick

cobham cobra

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 14:26:23 »
OK Rick,
   Point taken. I'll play nice in future - John.[;)]

Mark IV

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 14:48:14 »
Cobham,

I've no problem...I was alerting the masses that a battle was about to begin and to get your stout and pies ready to enjoy!

Rick

nikbj68

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 15:27:39 »

READY!!!!

cobham cobra

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 15:45:41 »
Hi Nick,
   Having just started my post-Christmas diet this is a very unfair photo to post.
   So tell me, just how like Mallorca is Anglesey ? Very impressed with you getting 39 PH as a 21st Birthday present BTW.
   Cheers - John.

jbottini

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 19:54:42 »
Emmanuald is entitled to his opinion...no matter how far from correct it may be. After all...free speech and all that!

TLegate

• View Profile
ac cobra prices????
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 21:14:03 »
Nik

Stop photographing your lunch - back to work!! (Unless you're lying on the miles of golden sands of your fair isle, working on that perma-tan of yours....)