Author Topic: Ford six gearbox  (Read 1663 times)

Flakey

• View Profile
Ford six gearbox
« on: November 17, 2021, 21:13:45 »
Evening all.
I am looking for a gearbox for my Aceca that is running a zephyr 6 cylinder.
I believe I need a moss gearbox, could anybody give me details of a supplier or does anybody have one for sale.
Regards
Fintan

James Eastwood

• View Profile
Re: Ford six gearbox
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 11:45:03 »
Fintan, can you share what you find out please, particularly which bell housing do you need to mate the moss gear box to the Ford block.

I'm aware that the original Ford bell housing and gearbox were cast iron, so not preferable for a sports car. I also know that the Ford gear box came with two sets of ratios, the Zephyr Six ratios would work for an Ace possibly, but the Zephyr Four would be too low/wide. Zephyr boxes are also available with Overdrive.

Zephyr Six     3.16, 2.21, 1.41, 1:1, R3.3
Zephyr Four   4.41, 2.35, 1.50, 1:1, R 4.67

For reference the Bristol BWCR 12 I believe is; 2.92, 1.82, 1.29, 1:1

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 18:52:44 »
The Ford engined ACs were either fitted with a Ford or Moss gearbox. The Moss box required a unique alloy bell housing rather than the normal AC one.
Your easiest option is to find a MK3 zephyr gearbox with a floor shifter. These were also fitted to Reliant Scimitars but with a different Ford bell housing.
Both gearboxes were sometimes fitted with an overdrive which would be a useful option. Other alternatives are a Ford Type 9 5 speed box which should
bolt up to the Zephyr iron bell housing but will put the gear lever in a more rearward position. Nigel Winchester also used to fit Volvo M41 gearboxes to
the Ford housing using an adaptor plate. These are a nice strong box that also often came with an overdrive.

Regards Luke.

10kph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 11:07:23 »
Hi,
    The Ford Aceca I owned in the 80s had alloy head with tripple sus and moss box with overdrive.
  The bellhousing wos original Ford Zephyr manual, the gearbox was the same as Jag mk2 2.4 and to mate the two together required the gearbox front seal/release bearing macining to resize or remake.
 A special clutchplate using Jag centre and Zodiac outer friction part. The bellhousing/gearbox bolted together with two or three standard holes and the fourth redrilled . The gearlever top was the same as fitted to AC engined ace and aceca but the Jag one will do and give a gearstick further back.
   The car was used for hillclimbs and I uprated the overdrive with a Jag 3.8 pressure spring and ran the gearbox?overdrive with auto transmission gearoil with no problems ,good gearchange and on overdrive that just slammed in.
     Regards
        Tony

Flakey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 10:15:26 »
Thanks very helpful

10kph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 13:12:12 »
Photo of 2.6 bellhousing ,moss box,overdrive and ac gearstick housing.
   Hope this helps
      Tony