Author Topic: BEX1045  (Read 16318 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 08:55:06 »
Bob

Received your emails and forward on to Tony Bancroft and Tim Isles the two official ACOC Ace Registrars.

Have requested either Scan the relevent hand written page of the
   AC Thames Ditton "Build Book" ( The AC Bible), thus confirming the correct Bristol Engine number (100D2 926) allocated to BEX1045 plus colour and possible Agent Destination.

We need to establish some major facts in order to assist your research on the early History of BEX1045.

Quickly reading the Thread todate, I agree with Jay, are we referring to one Ace or possibly two Aces[?]. Must reread the thread, things seem to have moved somewhat rapidly within a matter of a few days.

Which ever, It would appear BEX1045 is one of the few Ace Bristols that has been lost, Well not recorded in ACOC register records since it left the AC Factory 0n 23rd March 1959.

Tony Bancroft, the Official Ace Bristol Registrar is due to update the register within next month or so, We now have record of some 385/386 of the 463 manufactured, a truelly great survival rate especially bearing in mind there Age, use & abuse many received in competition during the 1950s & 1960s.

Will try to get a few of your photos pulished on this thread, in the meantime please confirm your address or at least which State you reside.

Keith[:)]

Bob Smith

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 12:01:48 »
I'm in Nokesville VA and I purchased the Ace in Silver Springs MD

nikbj68

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 15:56:12 »
Here are a few of Bob`s photos of BEX1045, as it is now, complete with Cobra hoodscoop & glovebox door mounted stereo!!! (And NO, Bob didn`t do that!!!) Click pics to view album with more pics:

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 00:20:29 »
Nik

Many thanks for posting pictures of Bob Smith's  BEX1045.

Unknown History 1959 to 1975 when Racing Ace Bristol BEX1045 In need of TLC was purchased by Frank Mauck, who owned and restored BEX1045 over the next 26 years  ( 2001 [?])

Bob ...   ...   When Did you actually purchase BEX1045 from Frank Mauck in Silver Springs MD.[?]    29/11/2001 confirmed by Bob Smith

How does the Ace in the 1960s Hot Rod magazine,  Jerry Sceberies and Chuck Hullum fit in with BEX1045? or was this feature a different Ace altogether [;)]

AC Owner's Club member "Colin Spong" in Ilford, Essex, England evidentally notified Tony Bancroft that a friend if his in Maryland. USA was carrying out some restoration work on Ace BEX1045 in or around December 1991 and made reference that original Bristol engine  100D2 926 once fitted had thrown a rod, distroying the block in or about 1974.
   The block was apparently scrapped ... unless someone knows different and hopefully salvaged the damaged block, gearbox and other remaining engine components, e.g. Head, Carbs, Sump ... etc, etc.

Bob, we really need a name or two who were associated with racing your Ace BEX1045.

Have you any other information?   did you receive any paperwork  when you bought BEX1045? or  any data from your research since ownership [?] [?]

Keith

Bob Smith

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 03:27:14 »
I bought the Ace on Nov.29, 2001

pjbowman

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 03:31:17 »
Bob, is it safe to assume the car now has an automatic transmission in it? Any idea what kind?

Peter B.
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 03:40:42 »
Bob, BTW, I'm located in Lynchburg, Va. and own Ace AEX127. There's another Ace here in town also, when the weather warms up we should all meet somewhere for a beer and dinner this spring!
Peter B.

aex125

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 03:43:52 »
Bob, Good looking car you have and I assume it is a blast to drive. What is the hood scoop made out of, and how is it attached? Thanks for posting the pics Nick
   Jay

Bob Smith

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 12:51:00 »
The engine and automatic transmision are from a 1970 Ford Torino, (302 and C4). The hood scoop is fiberglass & Frank Mauck told me that when he purchased it instructions were included as to exactly where it was to be located on the hood and the placement of each rivet. He also told me that the new steering wheel was the most difficult part to obtain, the old wheel was hanging in his garage and was bent and splintered. I don't know what became of the OE center button, it now has the AC Cobra emblem in the center.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 18:51:33 »
Bob

BEX1045 is now recorded in the ACOC Ace Bristol Register as owned by you (Bob Smith) as purchased in Nov 2001 from Frank Mauck.  who owned it from 1975 to 2001.  Colour of Body and trim plus V8 power plant also recorded.

Do you know/have contact details of Frank Mauck? (email address?)
   Would like to take the opportunity to ask him of previous owner/s, and if he can name any driver/s who may have used BEX1045 in SCCA events over a given period say  ...  ... (1959 - 1965 ??)
   And could he confirm the color of BEX1045 when raced and any idea of Race number/s worn during it's racing history ??
   What Period Number plates were allocated to this Ace prior to 1975?

Last but not least,  When raced In SCCA events on the East Coast did BEX1045 have any other special ID......  eg.  Small race screen?, racing mirror/s? Nose cowl or any distinctive body damage ??

Sorry for so many questions [?][?][?]s but it all aids  in trying to ID your Ace in Period race pictures without having Confirmation of actual driver details.

Good Luck with your research.

Keith   [:)]

Bob Smith

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 03:50:03 »
I hope that Frank Mauck can shed some light on the history of my Ace, I've emailed Keith his phone numbers. When I last spoke to him he had trouble remembering the previous owners name.

Bob Smith

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 15:27:15 »
Okay, I don't believe Frank is going to return my calls. My Ace has had body repair to the right front fender, the frame rails appear to have had tow tabs at one point (for flat towing or tieing down when being towed). My steering box has had angle iron welded around it and over to the right side frame rail for added support. The left front shock upper mount has also had a small piece of 1/4 flat steel welded over the stock wringled shock mount. In the top center of the firewall is a plate screwed to the firewall that measures 1 1/2" x 4" it has been painted over so I don't what it reads or if it was a factory access opening. There has been aluminum patch work to the lower firewall and the engine sides of both foot boxes, I assume to allow room for the V8 engines. There were once engine mounts weld to the frame rails ahead of the current engine mounts. Frank had told me of a third support from the roll bar across the passenger seat to the frame, making it impossible for someone else to ride in the car. The front spings are no longer fabric wrapped, but the rear spring is still wrapped in cotton fabric. The rear differential, spring and shocks appear untouched.

Bob Smith

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 17:19:47 »
When I bought the car Frank had told me that the car was red with black interior and had an Oldsmobile engine and 4 speed transmission. The car had ugly wheels that he threw in a dumpster with the convertible top years ago. Frank said that he bought the car when he lived in Centreville, VA from Doug Mccroy. (not sure about the spelling of Dougs last name).

Bob Smith

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 23:44:03 »
Jerry Scheberies of the "HOT ROD" story sent me some photos of his Ace. Can the VIN be found by the tag number? If so the California black tag was ACA 237, and yellow tag was UJV 111. I don't know if California used black tags on even year and yellow tags on odd years??? Virginia had used black for even and white for odd years.

aex125

• View Profile
BEX1045
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 04:10:29 »
I have tried in the past to get old records from the California DMV (including the Scheberies car) but they do not have records available from that far back. As for the license plates, Yellow with Black lettering was used from 1956 to 1962 and then Black with yellow lettering replaced them.
   Jay