Author Topic: ACECA in the Mille Miglia  (Read 5647 times)

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
ACECA in the Mille Miglia
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:11:52 »
As most of you know, I currently race my car on various circuits here in sunny CA.

My dream is to ship BE603 abroad and at a minimum run the Mille Miglia.

Have any of you run an ACECA in the Mille?
   Do any of you know someone who has run an ACECA in the Mille?

I would be very keen to understand the set-up of the car along with any other insights gained from running in this lovely GT car.

Under current tune, she would need quite a few changes to make her "tolerable" over a 1000 mile trip.  I have no doubt that she would make it, but any shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
   Rob

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:36 »
I think the hardest part is getting an accepted entry.  I believe BE640 did it last year (google Aceca Mille),so that owner would be worth contacting,and I imagine its to late for 2013 as it starts in may 2013 and registration closed on 31st Dec.

I have a Bristol 400 that was originally bought for the purpose of using in the MM,but was put off by personal circumstances and also that another Bristol 400 owner tried twice & was not accepted (yet a friend of his with an austin healy was accepted),suggesting its a lottery.
   However I was also somewhat disturbed when looking at buying a Siata (Before I got the Bristol) the selling dealer suggested he could get me an automatic entry.

There is an alternate MM that follows the main route and is less highbrow & a lot cheaper.

Graham

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 15:38:37 »
Thanks Graham.

Yes, it is too late for 2013.  Hence my preparatory work for a possible entry next year.

I look forward to hearing from others.

Cheers,
   Rob

BEX 288

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 21:08:13 »
Yes, I did it in BE 640 in 2012. Quite an experience, in particular in a car which had not seen much use during the previous years. But we made it to the finish line - as opposed to some 100 participants who failed to finish.  Sent me an email if you need more info. Stephan

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:32 »
I note the car that originally completed the MM was BE572 in 1957-details in AC six cyliner sports cars -in detail   Pg 198 (Incorrectly marked BE752). This was the last MM according to the book due to an accident by Portago's factory Ferrari335s. The bit on the AC fuel usage is interesting.

This list may be useful  as well as Stephans inside knowledge.
   http://www.historicvehicle.org/HomeUK/Hagerty-Online/Articles/All-lifestyle-articles/2010/11/12/Mille-Miglia-Madness---10-Tips

Graham

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 19:56:25 »
Thanks guys.

Any further info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
   Rob

alfredjo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 13:26:42 »
I am the owner of AC Aceca Bristol BEX 596 for over a year. It was my goal to drive the "mille miglia" and actually I got this year one start place. My Aceca Bristol is very original (fitted with 15" wheels because it looks better)and in very good condition, although the restoration was made over 25 years and 3000 miles ago by preowner Blair Harber from Canada.
   Last year I rode my Aceca to the GP Novolari (the little mille miglia) and had no technical problems with the Bristol engine. I can only recommend to everyone at this rally to subscribe to enjoy the Italian roads and towns and find the flair of the past.
   http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/dsc6592kopie.jpg/

alfredjo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 15:27:45 »
Starting list of Mille Miglia 2013 is online!
   www.1000miglia.eu/2013-Edition/Starting-list/
   Two Aceca Bristol will be at the start BE 588 and BEX 596. The tension increases!
   Alfred

alfredjo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 18:56:11 »
The "Aceca" drivers are back from the Mille Miglia and both made it to the finish. The cars are in very good conditions and Christopher travelled with the Aceca on axis back to the UK. The result is not so bad, Christopher reached the position-204 and I 109.  It was a great experience, with little sleep and lots of driving in the footsteps of the great racing history.
   http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/img1115zu.jpg/

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 03:15:09 »
Outstanding!

Congratulations to you both!

I would love to know what preparation and spares you brought.  Also, is this the first time you have entered?

My car has FIA paperwork and a UK reg number.

Just trying to get a feel for my chances to be accepted as well as what I need to do to prep the car.

Grazie Mille!

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 22:32:21 »
Congratulations Alfred!

I'm glad everything went according to plan.

Maybe we can get your windscreen wipers working better for next time,
   I see this years event was quite wet. [:)]

Regards,
   Luke.