Author Topic: Aceca rear lower shock mount bolt removal  (Read 2329 times)

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca rear lower shock mount bolt removal
« on: December 28, 2009, 04:44:46 »
Hello all,

I'm in the process of replacing some worn U-joints in my Aceca.  The job would be a lot easier if I could remove the bolt at the outer end of the wishbone that the bottom end of the shock absorber is mounted to (so the shock can come out).  I've removed the three small set screws but the bolt still refuses to budge, even with a few good whacks with a mallet.  Is there anything else that needs to be taken into consideration to get the bolt out?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Greg

pls01

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 14:52:15 »
Hi Greg

It's been a year since I had all that stuff a part, but here's some thoughts.

I remember removing the shock without removing the lower bolt.  Remove the top shock bolt, compress the shock, remove the lower retaining nut and washers.  I remember working the compressed shock out.

Getting the shock out improves access but causes another problem.  The suspension drops so that the u-joints bind and the drive shafts can't be easily turned.  Lifting the upright a little  with a bottle jack solves this.

Double check that there are not two stacked set screws in the holes.  I have seen instances where set screws were stacked.  Probably not the case here especially if you can turn the bolt.

Here comes the more interesting bit.  There are two versions of this bolt, "stepped" and "straight".  My car has one of each.  I think the stepped version came first.  It stepps down to a smaller diameter at the shock.  The shock has a steel sleeve that mates to the bolt and washers at each side.  The sleave and washers can sieze on the bolt preventing withdrawal.  Getting the shock off first helps assess the situation.  The rubber bottom shock mount may slide off the steel sleeve.  On my car the washers are aluminum and may face one direction or could just be bad memory.

The "straight" version of the bolt is just that; there is no step down at the shock mount.  I vaguely remember this also being difficult to disassemble.  There was ridge or something due to the side washers on the shock.  Some fine emery cloth and twisting finally freed the bolt.

So, first get the shock off then make sure the bolt can be turned then check out the shock mounting end of the bolt.

You probably don't want to hear this, but I've had other makes where this bolt was just completely siezed in place.  The whole rear suspension was disassembled and the bolt drilled out and replaced.

I'm poking around under the Ace today.  If I think of anything else, I'll forward

Peter S

59 Aceca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:54:20 »
Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for your suggestions and detailed information.  We got the U-joint assemblies out without having to remove the shock absorbers afterall.  It just took a little more time turning wrenches in the cramped space.  Upon evaluation, it appears that the bushings in both the leaf springs and A-arms appear to be sound.  The U-joint assemblies will hopefully go back in tomorrow and I am looking forward to a test drive (weather permitting).

Very interesting that there are two versions of the bolt.  I will check tomorrow and see what version(s) I have on my car.

All the best and thanks again,

Greg