Author Topic: AC production during WWII  (Read 2730 times)

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC production during WWII
« on: December 18, 2009, 14:36:00 »
While organizing the ACOC International in Luxembourg in 2005 (this is more than 4 years ago !) I had come across a vehicle held at the Diekirch Military Museum. It is a 180 gallon water tank on wheels produced by AC at Thames Ditton in 1940.
   I do only have three photos (attached).
   - Question to John Spencer, the ACOC historian and others: has AC history and production during the war years been researched?
   - If of interest I can try to get a complete picture of the water tank carriage.

Constant

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:13:48 »
As far as I know there is very little detailed coverage of AC's wartime production.  There are two pages in Martyn Watkins' 1976 AC book in the Haynes 'Mini-Marque' series, three pages with some photos in Jock Henderson's 1952 'The History of AC Cars Ltd' and a page in John Mclellan's 'Classic ACs - Autocarrier to Cobra'.

One thread that comes through is AC's continued association with Fairey Aviation, manufacturing parts for the Swordfish and Albacore, and after the war tailplanes for the Gannet.

I guess that inevitably very little survives - it's the first time I have seen anything like this.  More photos please, Constant!

Bill K.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 19:04:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

As far as I know there is very little detailed coverage of AC's wartime production.  There are two pages in Martyn Watkins' 1976 AC book in the Haynes 'Mini-Marque' series, three pages with some photos in Jock Henderson's 1952 'The History of AC Cars Ltd' and a page in John Mclellan's 'Classic ACs - Autocarrier to Cobra'.

One thread that comes through is AC's continued association with Fairey Aviation, manufacturing parts for the Swordfish and Albacore, and after the war tailplanes for the Gannet.

I guess that inevitably very little survives - it's the first time I have seen anything like this.  More photos please, Constant!

Nick Georgano's (with whom I am friendly) Beaulieu Encyclopedia of the Automobile has this paragraph on war production:

As with so many firms, World War II proved very profitable for A.C. who bought a new factory at Taggs Island in the Thames in 1940. Their work included making parts for Fairey Aviation, which continued into the 1950s, and also fire pump trailers, bodies and cabs for Ford and Bedford fire engines, 6-pounder guns, glider undercarriages and flame throwers.

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:25:35 »
Dear Constant,

Good to hear from you, and well spotted!

Generally, car production for most UK manufacturers was stopped by Government edict in 1916 for WWI and by 1940 for WWII.

ACtion Archives for March 2006 and November 2007 show the general pattern of AC Cars production work before, during, and after WWII. Recently acquired copies of Company accounts give some specific clues about the range of items made. Jock Henderson's excellent book 'A History of AC Cars' also has 3 pages on the subject. These will form the basis of a couple of planned Archive articles when further research is complete.

Meanwhile, I would very much appreciate copies of your photos for the Club Archive - to the e-mail shown in ACtion please.

Best regards and good wishes for the New Year,

John