Author Topic: 50 Shades of Grey  (Read 1500 times)

AC-Crankcase

• View Profile
50 Shades of Grey
« on: September 09, 2021, 11:56:59 »
Well slightly less than that, but Thames Ditton did like to describe the colours that they used as Grey.  Birch Grey, National Grey, Slate Grey...……….. 

Birch Grey was a cream colour and was the colour of my fathers Saloon (MZ 8150).  National Grey was a green colour and came in light and dark, (the light version NTV 836)…………

I have had a request from a gentleman who wishes to re-paint his car in the original colour which was National Grey but am struggling to find any reference to it; does any one know who the paint manufacturer was and even better does anyone have a code for the colour?

Tom

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Re: 50 Shades of Grey
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 22:28:31 »
Hi Tom.
ICI belco was the manufacturer.
I did find the code and have it somewhere.
However, no one had a cross reference to a current manufacturer. I found a chap at BSB paints in Medway who mixed me 4 litres in cellulose by eye and it was almost perfect match. He could not get close in 2 pack or waterbased because of the base paint base.
Mine was the light greeny grey version of NAT grey.

Gary
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 22:32:37 by GSouthee »
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

AC-Crankcase

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 17:28:39 »
Thanks Gary,

If you can find the code that would be very helpful. 

My sisters car was National Grey, the light version, but unfortunately I do not have any colour photos!  The Saloon that needs painting is in Truro, so a bit of a way from Kent.  Do BSB stretch that far?

All the best,
Tom

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 20:16:00 »
Hi Tom

I think BSB is a chain but only in my part of the country. However, I would assume any good quality auto paint factors with a spectrometer and a good paint mixer would be able to get a close match, especially if he is going to repaint the whole car.

Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.