Author Topic: Radiator expansion tank  (Read 2813 times)

Nev

• View Profile
Radiator expansion tank
« on: August 23, 2021, 20:15:00 »
My Radiator expansion tank has split, due to age and heat and is weeping water once fully warmed up. I tried a temporary repair with some mouldable glue, but to no avail.
The good news however is that I have found someone to make me a replacement, in aluminium, so hopefully this will be ready to be able to come and spectate at Goodwood, but there is a risk it will take a bit longer to fabricate.
The other good news is that , if fully happy with it, and I am sure I will be, I will be able to coordinate upgraded replacement tanks for the Ac Brooklands for other owners.
Will keep you all posted.

Nev

• View Profile
Re: Radiator expansion tank
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 18:26:46 »
I can now report that I have a lovely new aluminium header tank, made bespoke for me. More can be made as needed, the more made at one go the better value each one will be, so when other owners need a replacement, probably better to be pre-emptive, then I can coordinate a bulk order…….

I have photos, and will remind myself on how to post them on here.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 09:15:05 »
Would be interested to see photos of the new tank. I had assumed the original was a Ford item - no longer available?

On unrelated matter, do owners have thoughts/experience of the effects on fuel system of E10 petrol? Last time I started my car it took several turns of the ignition key to get fuel system up to working pressure. I’ve not checked, but being rubber I suspect the duck bill non-return valve has likely perished.

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 11:21:40 »
The original is from the mk 2 fiesta, and I could bot find any new replacements, only originals for silly money, that were also cracked, or broken in some other way, and due to age, very likely to split as mine had.

Photos of my header tank below…….

Re fuel, I’m just sticking with  the higher octane petrol.

paho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 16:03:59 »
Hi Nev,
I'm curious, can you see the fluid level without removing the cap?

Can we open a separate thread on the petrol/ethanol discussion? There are similar topics with information in different sections of the forum
but it can be good to have a specific discussion for the Brooklands Ace
BR /Paho
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 16:08:08 by paho »
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 14:22:45 »
Yes, the sight window is in the silver ring fitting. Note the complete unit has been pressure tested to double what it needs to be  and of course the cap should vent if needed. I bought a new cap just so it was shiny, and these are readily available.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 22:05:07 »
It's a smart looking tank Nev. But looking on ebay there are new original Ford Fiesta tanks listed in the £30 range, which appear to be MK2's, although I've not enquired. So I'm surprised you say there were none available.

A separate discussion on implications of E5 and E10 would be useful. Any one care to start it?

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 09:53:18 »
Hi Max, interesting, as  I am not seeing any Mk2 fiesta expansion tanks on ebay, but quite a few for the other Mk’s, which are different.

Either way, if anyone would like to order an aluminium one, then let me know, available powder coated in black, or as base aluminium.

paho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 15:49:43 »
Hi Nev,
its a really smart solution.

I thought mine was from a Granada/Scorpio year '92-95 model, part number is 86FB8K21AD not 90GB8K218BA as I previously thought, I went to the garage yesterday to double check. See pics.
Its also from a Fiesta! Its similar to the Fiesta II expansion tank, part number 84FB8K218AF. There aren't that many around of either model, they cost second-hand between £12 - £25 here but expect to pay a lot more for postage from Scandinavia! It would cost me at least £20+ in postage to receive it locally!
BR /Paho

P.S. I don't use eBay or Amazon
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 15:40:23 by paho »
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 10:59:01 »
Ah, I assumed all Aces had the same tank from new, here are pics of my original one, one showing the split where it opened up to leak.