Author Topic: Cobra Wheels Ebay  (Read 4447 times)

REV

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« on: December 09, 2009, 23:56:45 »
No idea if these are of any use to anyone, but here they are!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x470-Cobra-15-70-spoke-1-AC-Greyhound-wire-wheels_W0QQitemZ220523320434QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item335836d472

If it helps anyone I'm happy!

[:D]

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:15:41 »
Is there a difference (offset or something?) between Cobra & Greyhound wires, or is it just the tyre?

aex125

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 15:32:30 »
I believe Greyhound and Aces have the same offset at ~46.5mm and Cobras were at ~80mm. I have been told if you use Cobra wheels on an Ace they will fit fine on the front, but will rub on the inner fender at the rear unless you use spacers. I think the number of spokes also differs with Cobra having more.
   Jay

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:22:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125
   ...I think the number of spokes also differs with Cobra having more.
   Jay.

Thanks Jay, I`ll take your word on that, I`m not counting them! [;)] I guess with that difference in offset, Ace/Greyhound wheels would be close to hitting the lip on a Cobra arch then? Could explain why some 289`s I`ve seen appear to have the edge of the tyre outside the arches!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 14:09:54 »
Nik & Jay

16 inch by 4 / 4.5 inch Ace wheels have a different offset to those fitted to Greyhounds, caution required when buying and building up a mixed (harlequin) set of 5 or 6 wheels.Early Ace wheels were center laced 48 spoke, later 16 inch Ace wheels were Double laced with 56 spokes for greater strength.  Not sure of the offset difference, but the sets I have in my garage are all matching and the same as those originaly fitted to BEX333 at Thames Ditton back in August 1957.

I will measure the offset and confirm later, In the meantime maybe John Goose or a greyhound oiwner could confirm offset of 16 inch and 15 inch Greyhound wheels.[?]

Cobra wheels were 15 inch by 6 inch (72 Spoke triple laced )

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 17:13:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by aex125
   ...I think the number of spokes also differs with Cobra having more.
   Jay.

Thanks Jay, I`ll take your word on that, I`m not counting them! [;)] I guess with that difference in offset, Ace/Greyhound wheels would be close to hitting the lip on a Cobra arch then? Could explain why some 289`s I`ve seen appear to have the edge of the tyre outside the arches!

Nick, Just pour yourself a stiff one and start counting, although you may then end up with wheels that have 112 or 144 spokes depending on how far you are into the drink. For the outset/inset/backspacing, they all come into to play on the appearance in the wheel well and MWS has a good description of what they are here for anyone that is interested.
   http://www.mwsint.com/News/ViewNews.asp?NewsId=1416

rr64

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 17:38:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Nik & Jay

Cobra wheels were 15 inch by 6 inch (72 Spoke triple laced )

Keith

I think you will find that early 15X5.5 inch wire wheels fitted to Cobras are 72 spoke and that the subsequent 15X6 inch wheels for Cobras are 70 spoke. I don’t know much about the 5.5 inch wheels but the original 6 inch wide wheels have unique model numbers stamped into them. I know of two models, one painted and one chrome plated with the outer rim slightly different on the plated model.  Years ago I purchased the painted wire wheels from a late coil spring (think AC 289 Sports) chassis made circa 1970-71 I believe. The wheels looked like the originals on my Cobra but when I got them the offset was slightly different and they had a different model number stamped into them. Once I found they were not an exact match I sold them cheap.

In the USA now you will find very many Cobras fitted with some type wire wheel other than their originals. With after-market replacement wheels having been available for decades by several makers here in the USA any purchase of “old” wheels needs some investigation work done first. It is no fun to pay top dollar for ‘original’ wheels just to find out later you have purchased a set of used after-market wheels for more than they still sell for new. Oops.

Case in point. I located the wire wheels that were on my red Cobra at the time the previous owner bought the car. He converted the car to pin drive and installed early six spoke magnesium Halibrand wheels from the spares collection of one of the cut back door special competition roadsters in the mid 1980s. I would like to be able to go back to painted wires at some point in the future so I tracked down the wheels that were on the car when I first rode in it in the 1980s. Surprise, of the five wheels just two are genuine Cobra issue ones. The current custodian of the five wheels will sell them but he wants top dollar because they are ‘genuine’ Cobra wheels, at least from his point of view. I have not purchased them. It is bad enough to pay top dollar for correct wire wheels and then send them off for expensive inspection and rebuild if necessary. To buy five and junk three is just beyond my sensibilities so far.

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 18:28:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1023
   No idea if these are of any use to anyone, but here they are!
   If it helps anyone I'm happy!
   [:D]

Well, I hope you are happy, what a can of worms we have opened up here!!![:D]
   Gone goggle-eyed trying to count spokes, [xx(] then I followed Jay`s MWS link, and lo & behold, there`s a full AC CARS Fitment listing, including the 56, 70 & 72 spoke variants! All Offsets (ooops, sorry, it`s Backspace now!) listed, very good site.
   I presume everyone has a Wooden Spinner Saver in the boot?! [8D]

Thanks for all the info, gents, I hope it saves someone some heartache when considering wheels of unknown history. [:)]

Bob Smith

• View Profile
Cobra Wheels Ebay
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 22:13:48 »
How can you tell genuine wheels from after market wheels? When I bought my Ace the previous owner had 15" painted wheels on the front and 16" painted wheels on the rear. He threw in two more 15" painted with the sell. I replaced them with Dayton chrome 60 spoke wheels, (I still have all the painted wheels).