Author Topic: CF 44 sold  (Read 5603 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:47:58 »
Just rang Coys. CF 44 sold for £147,000 hammer price.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/78254

nikbj68

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:30 »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:03:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

Just rang Coys. CF 44 sold for £147,000 hammer price.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/78254

Classicus

With such a good result,  makes me wonder if AD  will think about selling 2 of his 3 remaining Frua's,  keeping  just one and his  Frua/ Cobra.

Knew he was selling number 44 as it was too good to use every day, so was buying  4th Frua to refill the space left by 44 and have a new project, keeping him busy and out of the pub.

Oh, the Dilemma  .......  Decisions, Decisions !!  and they say we are experiencing a Credit Crunch.

Keith  [;)]

Classicus

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:51 »
Absolutely, a great result ! [8D]

If I've got it right presumably he started out with 4 Fruas (!) and the Frua/Cobra ? Having sold CF 44 that currently leaves him with 3 + 1. Now he's buying/ bought (?) another one to restore making it 4 + 1 again ? If so any idea which one ?

Thanks a lot for the info.

Paul [:)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 17:30:40 »
Paul

Send me your email address and I will confirm details, Will endevour to secure chassis numbers, However each time I have asked, he doesn't know off hand,  mind you chassis numbers mean very little to some, they have the car or cars and use & enjoy,  nuimbers are incidentle.

email:-

Keith dot lessiter at faac dot co dot uk

Keith

cf24

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:55:47 »
Does anybody know where the car went ?

Did it go abroad?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 19:08:34 »
Very good! I wonder what a convertible would do?

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 20:19:26 »
Hi Emmanuel, and welcome back!!!
   Not tempted to get rid of yours, I hope?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 23:25:42 »
Nope, This one is a keeper. It's in the shop again! We are now working on the rear end. All the seals on the diff have to be replaced and as predicted the rear end was a 2.88. Soon it will have a 3.07 to match the factory ratio. The only difference is that the Toploader 4 speed box has wider ratios than the original. A better set-up for the street. These gears are new and did not exist in the 60's. I have decided to keep the Toploader for the time being as it is more correct than a modern box. This car is a monster and the rear end was the only part that was not touched and it did not resist the massive amount of power and torque. I am also going to pin drive Halibrand wheels as on the very early cars, because the spleen wire wheels are unsafe with close to 600HP. This car drives like a Cobra but with a better brakes, a top and a radio. By the way, does anybody has any MKIV wheels for sale by any chance? [;)]

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 13:48:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld...This one is a keeper...We are now working on the rear end...This car is a monster and the rear end...did not resist the massive amount of power and torque...

There`s only as much torque as the right foot sends through it... I get the feeling you have probably gone up a collar size on your shirts too!!! [8D] [8D]
   I love the look of the 428 on Halibrands... do show us a pic when it`s done!  [:D]

aaron

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 18:37:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double WOW !!! ,looks like these people are starting to really appreciate these cars.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 18:06:39 »
This Salisbury differential is an interesting animal, the housing is straight Cobra MK III. However, All the spleens are different. The center one going to the drive-shaft uses thick spleens which had to be replaced by a conventional Dana thin spleen and a different flange. On the sides the flanges are an integral part of the short axles instead of having an outside spleen and a bolted flange. This was a weak point on the MK III and I guess AC modified it since the car is much heavier than a MK III. Also the seals were different, (multi pieces) these have been replaced by the single type which is much better. On my car some of the mounting bolt were broken. This is where the noise came from. As far as the Halibrand pin drive wheels, the rear is easy to convert, just add pins. The front is another animal the hubs have to be re-drilled or replaced. Luckily, there is a machinist in Torrance who specializes in making new hubs for original Cobras, so not a problem.
   [:D]

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 18:16:08 »
Peter, I noticed your car has Halibrands, could you let me know what size front and rear rims? and what size tires as well? This will save me a lot of time. PS Engineering is around the corner from my office and Phil can make what ever size Halibrand wheels I want.

Thanks,

Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
CF 44 sold
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 14:27:24 »
February 2010 "Classic & Sports Car" magazine's auction report of sale of CF 44 for £163,200 on December 1st 2009 - top of third paragraph. See pic also in top right hand corner.... [:)]