Author Topic: AC Ace AEX-1010 Found  (Read 6515 times)

fastpace

• View Profile
AC Ace AEX-1010 Found
« on: July 20, 2021, 04:16:31 »
A couple weeks ago my wife and I visited my father-in-law and worked through things we could do to help him downsize.  As part of that, was to go through the cars he owned which included a 1964 Cobra 289 Rack and Pinion car in pieces, a 1968 GT500 which he's the original owner, and a 1959 AC Ace.

I have been working through a bit of info an history on AEX-1010.  He bought the car in 1976 in a running driving state as you see it in the pictures for $5500.  The car is green with black interior with a SBC swapped, but is listed in the registry as White with Red interior.  I have reached out to the previous owner who knew the owner prior to him as well and they used the car for hill climb races in the Northeast US particularly in Pennsylvania.  He mentioned he always knew the car as green with black and the SBC conversion was prior to his ownership.  He of course was quick to offer to buy the car back, he said he currently owns 30+ cars including lots of exotics and has owned over 300 cars since this car but it was one he would never forget owning.  He's checking to see if he has any information or pictures from his ownership.

In addition, I have gotten in contact with the grandson and son of the original purchaser.  The original owner was a painter who travelled and practiced around the world.  They're also checking for any information or records on her ownership.

As the car is in over good condition, the plan is to see what it will take to get it back on the road.  Detailed inspection on the driveline and suspension to make sure everything is intact and serviceable.  If all is good, we will continue on with making it road ready.  If not, we will reassess for restoration level.  Long term, I would like to review bringing it back to an AC powered car and return to original state. 

I have already become ACOC member and ordered a few different books, but are there any key resources I should know of to learn the details and ins-and-outs of the Ace?  Any help is appreciated.  Also, I have tried to reach Allison as the registrar, but the email was returned is there updated contact?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Re: AC Ace AEX-1010 Found
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 09:59:34 »
Fastpace.

Welcome to the AC Owners Club....   :)
Great to learn of another AC Ace that has survived and is back on the ACOC Radar and that your father in laws  AC Cobra chassis number ?  Has also survived, even if stripped down in preparation for full rebuild.

Really good to learn  of your long term intention to return AEX1010 to AC power,  The ACOC are there to assist in spares and information, just ask. ;)

Allison Hildreth the AC Ace Registrar   email address,  as below :

allison@hildreth.plus.com

Good luck with your quest for early  history, I am sure Allison will be pleased to receive any information on the History of AEX1010 to update and complement the AC Ace Register.  :)

Keith

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 19:36:48 by AC Ace Bristol »

AE 501

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 09:54:49 »
Wonderful story, and a very, very nice place to fit the radio  ;D

Best of luck for all your efforts! I'm sure the club will help in many things!

Chris

AEX146

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 16:33:36 »
Dear Fastpace,

As regards reference books for the Ace and the Cobra you should definitely try and get hold of a copy of Rinsey Mills’ book “ Original Ace & Cobra: the Restorers Guide” .I found it invaluable when restoring AEX146.

When, and if, you come to replacing the small block with an AC engine I’d be happy to pass on the lessons I learnt. It’s certainly doable but you do need a high pain threshold!

Kind regards,
Ben Morgan

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 19:10:45 »
A Really nice find, just a pity it was converted to a V8!
The Weller engine is i believe a good balance for the Ace & even more so now good engine parts are available to satisfy extra performance.
Robin

fastpace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 14:36:27 »
Dear Fastpace,

As regards reference books for the Ace and the Cobra you should definitely try and get hold of a copy of Rinsey Mills’ book “ Original Ace & Cobra: the Restorers Guide” .I found it invaluable when restoring AEX146.

When, and if, you come to replacing the small block with an AC engine I’d be happy to pass on the lessons I learnt. It’s certainly doable but you do need a high pain threshold!

Kind regards,
Ben Morgan

Thanks Ben for the recommendation, have already purchased, received, and read Rinsey Mills book it was quite a great read and I will definitely be referencing back to it later.  I'll keep you in mind as I work through the car and potential conversion back to the AC Engine.  It can't be nearly as painful as what the Cobra and GT500 restorations are going to be!

A Really nice find, just a pity it was converted to a V8!
The Weller engine is i believe a good balance for the Ace & even more so now good engine parts are available to satisfy extra performance.
Robin

Thanks Robin, yes it seems like there quite a few people building them now and are somewhat available to a decent bump in power.  This is part of why I'm strongly considering the conversion back since it would be back to original but also a nice power level to really enjoy it.

phil@meanyoliver.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 20:28:07 »
Hi,
I am in the process of converting AEX53 from Ford V8 back to Ace power and am located in Virginia. It sounds like you are somewhere not to far north of me. Happy to share my contacts, lessons learned, and helping you anyway you need it. Your car looks like it is in much better shape than mine when I started.
Phil M.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 22:25:05 »
Fast pace, where are you and the car located?
Peter B.

fastpace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 18:25:40 »
Fast pace, where are you and the car located?

I'm located in Texas, but the car is in Pennsylvania.  I'm making a trip back up to the car next week and will work to get it out of it's current resting place so that I can get a better look over the details of it.  If all looks well then hopefully a trip next month could help bring the car back to Texas.

Hi,
I am in the process of converting AEX53 from Ford V8 back to Ace power and am located in Virginia. It sounds like you are somewhere not to far north of me. Happy to share my contacts, lessons learned, and helping you anyway you need it. Your car looks like it is in much better shape than mine when I started.
Phil M.

Thanks for the offer Phil, will definitely reach out.

bbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 20:44:54 »
Fastpace,

Let me know if you need any help with getting your Ace back on the road.  I am in the middle of restoring BEX239 and there are many people that have been helpful.
Bert Brown, Danville, California

fastpace

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 01:41:23 »
Okay this is going to be a massive photo dump, but I'm interested to get feedback and info from the collective knowledge of the group.  Spent the last week cleaning up the garage and digging the car out and then got the chance to jack it up to check out the frame and suspension.  Please comment or let me know if you see anything critical, incorrect, or just interesting/good to know from the pictures.

Some things I know (which is minimal):
  • Converted to a SBC
  • Front support bent and broken at weld
  • Added radio and speakers
  • Car is listed in the registry for being white with red interior, so green overspray isn't surprising
  • The classy 2x4 bumpers aren't original  :D that's a result of my father in law moving the car, denting the front end, getting mad at himself about it so he added the 2x4s for protection
  • Battery has been moved to the trunk
  • Rear shocks are some sort of air assist shock

A few questions that I have:
  • Do I have original Weller mounts?
  • Does it look like the footbox panels are correct on the interior?
  • Any major damage to be concerned with?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 08:49:46 »
I am not an Ace expert but I think the wood bumpers are not correct  ::)

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 14:22:00 »
Hello Fastpace, You have a very interesting project. I have available a completely  new rebuilt CL AC 2 litre engine which I now do not need, this might be of interest to you if you want to bring the car back to original. Let me know if you would like further details.
Leo

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 17:00:21 »
A couple weeks ago my wife and I visited my father-in-law and worked through things we could do to help him downsize.  As part of that, was to go through the cars he owned which included a 1964 Cobra 289 Rack and Pinion car in pieces, a 1968 GT500 which he's the original owner, and a 1959 AC Ace.

Why didn't I have a father in law like this?  I am so jealous.  The car looks fantastic.  Good luck with the restoration (s)

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 13:27:01 »
Hello Fastpace, You have a very interesting project. I have available a completely  new rebuilt CL AC 2 litre engine which I now do not need, this might be of interest to you if you want to bring the car back to original. Let me know if you would like further details.
Leo

If Fastpace doesn't have interest I'd like some further details on your engine

Thanks in advance