Author Topic: Changing Fastback & Convertible Values ? Update  (Read 3814 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
Changing Fastback & Convertible Values ? Update
« on: November 25, 2009, 16:15:56 »
In a pouring rain quick dash into the newsagents this morning just had time to also note that in the regular monthly price guide to all classic cars in the January issue of "Classiccars", and for the first time I can ever remember since I started checking back in about 1977 or so, they're now interestingly valuing the fastback higher than the convertible.

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 00:19:00 »
could you state titlt of last 2 columns on the right?

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:00:55 »
I think the columns are displacement (in CCs) and Top Speed.

Jay

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:11:01 »
From left to right....

Year | Concours/Dealer || (Private sale) - Mint | Good  | Rough  | CC  | Top speed.

cf24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:22:37 »
I know that I have an interest, BUT , when was a convertible last sold ?

The last I know was the car that JD classics had and I think that went for £120k.

From experience of other marques , I think that many of the values quoted in that guide are for dreamers . About a year ago , I sold an Aston through a dealer for double  the price that guide stated .

Another AC example in that guide suggests  £24k for a concours Greyhound ? The registrar suggests £65k

Enough said .

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:46:19 »
Then there was the fastback CF 66 which went on 28th October 2009 for £100k at RM's in Battersea, then the Manchester convertible CF 78 in August 2009 for £95k as well as the JD Classics convertible CF 12 you mention for I gather £120k in approx. July 2009. Agreed price guides have been out of touch for years and probably always will, but this was interesting because arguably it has less to do with price values than aesthetic values alone.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 23:47:18 »
They average all prices at which cars sell, so since a lot more coupes have changed hands than convertibles, and since the last coupe was sold at a high price it is now higher. This system has always handicapped the 428 since there are so few cars out there and since they seldom change hands. Wait for a restored Convertible to be sold and you will see the price jump! This does not mean anything, what means something is the quality of the cars available for sale, traditionally, a lot of these cars were in need of total restoration both because of total neglect and of the poor quality of Italian steel. Since most of them are being restored or have been restored, Prices are bound to go up quite a bit. See how much Mistral or Ghibli convertibles go for these days.
   [:D]
   Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:14:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

....and since the last coupe was sold at a high price it is now higher.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but as this original thread took place between the 25th and 26th November last year - the magazine in question being bought on the 25th November, and CF 44 the last coupe at auction to be sold on the 1st December 5 days later for the highest price of all 428s to date of £147k hammer price, meaning a further 17% VAT (?) on top say £170k odd - the interesting if arguable original valuation in the magazine could only have been based on the latest earlier values when the convertible CF 12 was still some £20k higher. As quoted just above.

Either way all these great new values are very welcome and long overdue [:)]

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/78254

Forgot to add Buyer's Premium at auction....15% I think ?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 00:06:57 »
Yes it seems they average all the sale prices. So for a car so rare as the Frua, Prices don't really reflect the market. It has been probably a while since a decent convertible has changed hands. The coupes are more readily available so they change hands more often.

Emmanuel