Author Topic: Leaking Gas tank- How to repair?  (Read 4439 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Leaking Gas tank- How to repair?
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:16:45 »
The gas tank on my '56 Ace has started to "weep" (slow leak, but I cannot pinpoint a spot where it is leaking from) and was wondering if anyone knows how to fix these tanks. In the past I have been told Ace gas tanks were lead/solder sealed on the inside, and when they started to leak, they were very hard to fix. Any ideas from anyone? Alternatively, is any one making "new" ones or has anyone found another tank that is a satisfactory replacement? If I cannot find one anywhere, I may take mine into a fab shop and have them make one out of aluminum, but I would rather find one than get one custom fabbed.
   Thanks,
   Jay

Roy Davies

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 09:46:21 »
Try David Sanderson in the UK on +44 (0)1642714220.  If he hasn't got one he will know where you can get one!  Roy

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:14:02 »
Jay

Aluminium fuel tanks for Ace / Aceca are available ex-stock from :

Classic Autos
   10, High Street, Kings Langley, Hertfordshire. WD4 8HB, England

Fax / Tel  00 44 1923 262 994  9 Aubrey Finsburgh

My ali tank fits like a glove, no mods required, ST/ST straps also available.  (Foam filled optional)

In the USA suggest you try,   Jim Feldman or Ron Leonard.

Carefully wrapped ,theres no real weight and frieght cost might still make it viable.

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 03:56:35 »
Thanks for the leads guys. I've tried Leonard and Feldman but came up empty, although Jim said he may be having a custom one made in a month or two and I might be able to piggy back on that fabrication. In the meantime I'll try the UK leads next. Keith, I am not famaliar with the term ex-stock, could you explain what that means?
   Thanks again,
   Jay

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 04:03:02 »
For what its worth I used a product in the USA on my PANTERA gas tank ... called POR 50 adn it worked like a charm and still working 5 years now ... its a 3 step process .. comes with the cleaning and sealing and an epoxy.

Ron

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 16:26:04 »
Hi Jay,
   I think what Keith means by the term "ex stock" is that the item is held in stock as part of the suppliers normal/regular inventory ie the part is on the shelf and can be despatched asap.
   Regards - John.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 03:54:22 »
John,
   Thanks for the explanation of ex stock.
   Ron, Is the por 50 viscous or is it thin? With the way the Ace tank is constructed (lead inside that acts as the sealer), I am not sure if it would seal as effectively as it does in a regular tank. Still, it may be worth a try. Have not called the UK contacts as being on the left coast of the US, I have not found the right time to call.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:35:17 »
Tennessee is 5 hours behind UK if that’s any use.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 18:37:32 »
Yes its a 3 part epoxy liquid based product. first is a cleaner / acid that removes the rust .... second is a metal nuetralizer and last the epoxy .... well an A/C tank cant be any more out of the ordinary then a PANTERA tank ... and it worked great .. .and I dont usually recommend anything but fixing it right.

Ron

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 17:27:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

The gas tank on my '56 Ace has started to "weep" (slow leak, but I cannot pinpoint a spot where it is leaking from) and was wondering if anyone knows how to fix these tanks. In the past I have been told Ace gas tanks were lead/solder sealed on the inside, and when they started to leak, they were very hard to fix. Any ideas from anyone? Alternatively, is any one making "new" ones or has anyone found another tank that is a satisfactory replacement? If I cannot find one anywhere, I may take mine into a fab shop and have them make one out of aluminum, but I would rather find one than get one custom fabbed.
   Thanks,
   Jay

Over here in Los Angeles, I know a few places which will completely redo your tank! Email me if you are still looking Emmanuel

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 04:35:37 »
Thanks Emmanual, but I think I'm covered. On Ron's recommendation I am trying POR15 and just cleaned and etched the tank today with sealing planned for tommorrow. I'm not sure how the sealing is going to work with all of the baffles in the tank, but I'm going to give it a try. I had no idea there were so many baffles in the tank until I started this today. If that doesn't work, Classic Auto (Thanks again for the lead Keith)can fix me up with a new one. They even ship to a shop close by so the shipping will be minimal.
   Jay