Author Topic: aceca sale  (Read 5932 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
aceca sale
« on: November 16, 2009, 21:06:21 »
This is text from the website of motorsports market. It has a picture of a red Aceca with Carrera Panamericana livery. I have seen high quality pictures of this car at supercars.com
   the ad says this car sold for $44.500. Is this a typo? Does anyone know anything about the sale of this car and when that sale took place?

Gus

http://www.motorsportsmarket.com/pages_new/car_list.asp?car=race

1957 AC Aceca coupe
   SOLD

More Pictures

Back to the List

History

The car was originally sold to South America from the A.C. factory in the late 1950's. It later made its way back to England, and into the hands of a gentleman named Adrian Hall - one of the foremost A.C. racers in England and in Europe.

In 1989, the Aceca was completely stripped to its bare frame and lightweight aluminum body panels. All components were gone through, rebuilt, and prepared to Hall's high competition standards by his in-house race car mechanics. The car was then registered with the FIA, and made ready for Hall to compete in the Carrera Panamericana Road Race.

However, before the car was raced, it was purchased by its current owner. The car was then inspected and prepared by Hall & Fowler in England, before its first outing at the Copperstate 1000 in the U.S. The new owner ran the Aceca in the Copperstate 1000, completing an enjoyable and trouble-free event.

Although presently stored, the Aceca is continually run and kept fresh. It is currently ready for street use, vintage rallies, and/or vintage racing.

Description

The Aceca is composed of a tube frame chassis covered by lightweight aluminum body panels. It is powered by a 145 h.p. two litre, six cylinder, Bristol engine with triple SU carburetors. The car also has a four speed overdrive transmission.

The Aceca has transverse leaf spring suspension, similar to the Shelby Cobra. It also has competition front disc brakes and rear drum brakes. It has been lightened throughout. The Aceca has plastic windows, aerodynamic body panels, a hood mounted debris deflector for endurance events, ram-air carburetor induction, as well as vented roofing for cooling and improved aerodynamics. The car also has a full roll cage for safety and frame stiffening.

This Aceca is one of only 84 produced. It is eligible for all groups of historic "A" racing, rivaling 356 Porsches and the Aston DB2/4. It is in excellent, and race-ready condition.

Chassis Number: BE603
   Engine Number: 100D29907

Price: Sold          Currency Converter
   Contact Us

© 2004 Motorsports Market

pjbowman

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 23:00:23 »
That car has been listed on that site as 'Sold' for a loooong time - possibly years. So it's probably correct, just very outdated.

Peter
Peter B.

Jim A

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 17:17:14 »
Were there really Bristols with SU's?

Jim A

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 17:12:29 »
Was my carb question too hard, too easy or too dumb?
   Also,I guess, I am curious what Bristol version turned out 145 HP.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 17:50:04 »
Jim

I will B brave, put my head above the parapet and take up the gauntlet !!!!

To my knowledge only the AC engined and mildly tuned 2.6 Ford engined Aces & Acecas used SU carburetters.
   The more highly  tuned 2.6 Ford engined Aces and Acecas ware Twin or triple Weber Carburetters and those racing today often exceed 180BHP.

Regards your initial question referring back to Bristol engined AC's, I can't see how SUs would fit as replacements to the Solex fitted as standard or the triple Webers found on some of the more breathed upon Ace & Aecea Bristols.

Again, with modern technology and materials 145plus BHP and excess of 7000rpm is now possible from tuned Bristol 100D2s, However, One says goodbye to reliability and goodbye to loads of ££ss & $$$s.

Does this answer your original question?, Has any one a picture of a Britol 100D2  being strangled on SUs ? ( I hope not )

Cheers

Keith

Jim A

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 00:11:03 »
Thanks, Keith.  The more I look at the blurb, the less sense it makes.  It supposedly has a Bristol engine, numbered either 100D 29907 or 100D2 9907, neither possible I think.
   Hype high on the hooey scale!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 00:39:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jim A

Thanks, Keith.  The more I look at the blurb, the less sense it makes.  It supposedly has a Bristol engine, numbered either 100D 29907 or 100D2 9907, neither possible I think.
   Hype high on the hooey scale!

Jim

The official ACOC Aceca Bristol register has the present engine fitted as 100D2 907 which dates the engine as late November 1958.
   The original Bristol engine fitted was  100B2 3816.

Makes sense that the 100B was replaced with a 100D2 engine and certainly would have been properly prepared by A Hall and Co, especially for the heavy hard use expected of this Aceca.

Maybe Terry Richards the Bristol Aceca Registrar can elaborate and confirm history and current location (Country) of this nicely prepared and well used Aceca.

Nice to see another AC being used to the full as intended when it left Thames Ditton and not the sterile over-restored  Pebble Beach trailer queen too often seen these days. [V]

OOooo Bitchy! True Colours coming out a bit strong I think. [:I]

Keith [:)]

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
aceca sale
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 00:32:36 »
As far as I know the only Bristol engine originally fitted with SU carburettors was one of the first types as used in the Bristol 400. I think it was the 85A which used triple SUs.

Jerry

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 18:34:21 »
Hi,

I am the new owner of this car.  I would like to clear up a few erroneous bits of information.

Firstly, the ad on Motorsports Market is at least 8 or 9 years old.
   Secondly, the ad has a few typo's.  The car has 3 Solex carbs not SU's. The car did run the Panamericana but did not complete it due to a holed radiator. The engine number is indeed 100D2 907.

The car is in virtually perfect condition and will now live in California for the forseeable future and it is anticipated that it will participate in many of the prestigious historic races located here.  We may very well apply for the Mille Miglia as well.

I hope this helps.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 19:26:52 »
Rob

Welcome to the Forum.  Nice to learn that this well known  Aceca has gone to a good home, even better to learn it is going to be used and enjoyed as intended ...  [:)]

In order to keep the Ace & Aceca registers up to date could you please possibly confirm your details and Aceca details to Terry Richards the ACOC Official Aceca Registrar.

Email: acecabristol@btinternet.com

Hope you get years of Satisfaction from the Aceca...  Enjoy !!

Keith  [:)]

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
aceca sale
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 05:33:16 »
Thank you!
   Really looking forward to learning more about this beauty.

quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Rob

Welcome to the Forum.  Nice to learn that this well known  Aceca has gone to a good home, even better to learn it is going to be used and enjoyed as intended ...  [:)]

In order to keep the Ace & Aceca registers up to date could you please possibly confirm your details and Aceca details to Terry Richards the ACOC Official Aceca Registrar.

Email: acecabristol@btinternet.com

Hope you get years of Satisfaction from the Aceca...  Enjoy !!

Keith  [:)]