Author Topic: Been away and just catching up.  (Read 1622 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Been away and just catching up.
« on: June 17, 2021, 09:28:19 »
I have just returned from a couple of weeks away in the Ol' Girl, we completed just over 1500 miles in all around Suffolk and Lincolnshire.

Lovely weather and the Ol' Girl performed well, got a bit warm inside her when the heat rose, but her new air vents I fabricated for the footwells worked well blowing cool air inside once on the move (well as cool as was possible when it was hot outside) but at least some fresh air circulation.

The twin leading shoes brake  conversion along with the servo really make a hell of a difference, much better stopping and lighter braking effort needed (no more both feet on the pedal and praying).

I can seen clearly now at night with the LED conversion, makes the Ol' Girl at lot more night-time friendly (I can throw the night vision goggles away now).

The twin weber downdraft conversion on the Triumph engine worked extremely well, performance much enhanced as a MGB owner found out after tailgating me for a mile or two, I waved bye bye to him as he struggled to keep up (one just has to occasionally).

Had to grease up the Ol' Girls nipples while away, but I was extremely fortunate that the owner of one of the cottages we stayed at was a car lover and let me use his garage (well more like a ruddy barn). He had a lovely Jag Mk2 and a Sunbeam Rapier S2. He used to have a Triumph TR6 and told me of a supplier that made a Stainless manifold for him that performed well (might look him up)

Yep I know most of you are not interested in the Triumph engine in the Ol' Girl but I like it and the reliability and performance.

I see that the Sprint is in September with the National the same weekend, I hope to make one or both, but again we return from another break away in the Rutland area.

Well stay safe and  and keep driving.

G

A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Big col

• View Profile
Re: Been away and just catching up.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 21:19:12 »
Glad you enjoyed your Jolly. I’m not worried about the Triumph motor, your car, and what makes you happy is fine with me.
I know a guy who put a Daimler V8 in a Triumph 2000 estate car. What comes round goes round. All we need now is an AC engine in a Daimler V8 250 and we would have a full three square circle.
It’s great to hear that you enjoyed a holiday during these odd times in the UK in a classic. I can’t wait to get out and about touring myself.

Colin
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 09:55:07 »
Cheers Colin

Yep had a great time, always out and about in the Ol' Girl, still doing my Thursday medications run in her fro the local doctors, lovely driving around the lanes and villages.

Looking forward to a few car meets, not shows though i get bored sitting there all day.

Stay safe and r
enjoy a drive.

Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

dsjw1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 10:54:53 »
Great job Gary! They’re supposed to be driven!