Author Topic: Tire Selection  (Read 10645 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:18:08 »
It's time for a new set of tires for AEX127, and was wondering what  my compatriots might recommend for spirited road use. I had Pirelli's on the car (185R16s), and they were not bad. I have Vredesteins on my E-type, and am pretty pleased with them also. Have not had good luck with Michelins in the past, they were too hard and did not grip well.

What are forum members using for their road cars?

Peter
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:17:42 »
Hi Peter

Many ACOC members in the UK & Europe run their Ace's and Aceca's on 165HR16  (550x16)  AVON TURBOSTEELS.

I've done some 16,500/17,000 miles on mine (BEX333) including Various Sprints, Races and Hillclimbs ....... still plenty of tread.
   Front tyres scrubbed on outer edges, but swapped to the rear.

Road holding and comfort far superior to sets of Dunlop Racing Tyres I used for years before suitable Road / Track tyres were available.

Avon also manufacture 15inch version in softer compound, ideal for racing, However not sure if the softer compound would last long on the Road.

Have you modified your rear wheel arches to accomodate 185 x 16s, or have you altered the rear spring to give negative camber? Most 185 cross section tyres foul bodywork or burn off paint, especially when two up or really motoring and enjoying open sweeping roads.

Cheers

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:51:52 »
Thanks Keith. No mods to anything on the car, have never had any issue with tire rubbing with the 185s. But I don't get 'crazy' on the road either, and don't race it. But maybe I'll look at the 165s too. Thaks for the feedback!

Cheers.

Peter
Peter B.

pls01

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 17:25:16 »
Hi Peter

I have 5.50x16 Michelin Racing Radials on BEX375.  They were the only radial available in the original size about 10 years ago.  They are not the "X" style radial that was originally on the car.  They grip very well but seem very heavy.

The original 5.50x16 Michelin X is now available from Longstone tire.  Given the age of my current tires, I am considering these to see how the car originally handled.

I've heard good things about the Avon Turbosteels and they are a bit less expensive

pjbowman

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 23:01:55 »
Turbosteels at $350 each are less expensive than Michelins??? Didn't know I was going to have to cash out my retirement fund just to get tires!

Are the Michelin Xs available in the USA anywhere? The Avons are, but I haven't found much else in 165 size.

Peter
Peter B.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 01:29:19 »
Hi Peter,

I have the Vredesteins on my aceca. I chose those primarily because I just wanted a decent road use tire for a decent price. I don't know how spirited you want to call an AC engined Aceca, I don't drive sluggishly, but I have been pleased with these tires and they were a lot more affordable than 16 inch Michelins (The car had 16 inch wheels). I switched to 15's from Dayton wire wheel.

Gus

pjbowman

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 02:49:34 »
Thanks Gus. I agree, the 15's are MUCH cheaper, and readily avialable. I must admit I like the looks of 16s on the cars, but am keeping my options open.
Peter B.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:00:22 »
Avon Turbospeed Tyres are £137 plus VAT in the UK inner tubes are £30

Robin

pjbowman

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 18:22:50 »
Unfortunately, here in the US they are $350! Unless anyone knows where to get them at a more reasonable price here in the Colonies?

Peter
Peter B.

aex416

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 02:25:18 »
Peter,

Coker Tire has the 550-16 and the 185R16

Prices vary depending on manufacturer! They are a great source!

http://store.coker.com/

Will

pls01

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 22:28:56 »
Peter,

Yes the Avons are expensive here.  They are substantially less from Longstone in England, about $229 at todays exchange.  The Michelins are $262.

According to the Longstone website, delivery for four tires is about $100 to the USA.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:07:56 »
If that's all the delivery is, it's still cheaper to buy from Longstone and get them shipped. That's a good option. Hard to understand why they are so much more expensive here in the US, sounds like gouging!

Thanks for the tip!

Peter
Peter B.

aex125

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 04:32:44 »
Peter,
   I run Cooper Cobras on my Ace (and all my other cars) and am pleased with them as a street tire. However, my wheels are 15" and a bit wider than stock so I am running big tire at 205/70-15. Not sure if Coopers come in your size, but they are reasonably priced if they do come in the correct size. The down side is they are not great on mileage (they last ~20k miles with my driving) but I believe that is because they are bit soft to provide good traction.
   Jay

pjbowman

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 12:39:49 »
Thanks Jay, I'll check thme out too. 15 inch tires are a lot more abundant and a lot cheaper, that's for sure.

Peter
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Tire Selection
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 21:33:34 »
Peter

Longstone Tyres can be contacted on :

Tel:  0044 (0) 1302 711 123
   Fax:  0044 (0) 1302 710 113

email:   sales@longstonetyres.co.uk
   web;     www.longstonetyres.co.uk

When I bought my set of 165HR16 Avon Turbosteels from Longstones they were giving ACOC members a 5 or 10% discount, worth asking after they have confirmed price inclusive of delivery.

Bill Griffiths fitted Avon Turbosteels to his Ace and did the Tasmanian Rally a couple of years back and was duly impressed over tyres used in previous events. rated them as suiting the Car and really took some hard driving.

My preference,  Keep with the 16 inch wheels, The Ace looks so much better with the tyres filling  the Arches. Ground clearance is also better for general road use.

Keith